cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update crystal report in deployed application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys

I've created a simple database application in Visual Studio 2010 that updates a Crystal Report. Everything runs fine before deployment;

(when I update the Access database located in the Bin\Debug folder, the changes are reflected on the report which is also connected to the file at that location).

However, when I deploy the report (with the database added to the installation files), I can still update the database as normal, but the changes aren't reflected on the Crystal Report.

Can anyone help?

View Entire Topic
0 Kudos

Even after you hit the Refresh button on the Viewer?

saurabh_pathak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don has given a good clue, it looks like you have deployed the report with the Saved Data. Open the report in designer and  Go to File > uncheck the Saved Data option and then save and deploy the report. Open it from your application. This time it should either throw the error or update the report with new data.

Hope it helps.

~ Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh / Don

I have ensured the Saved Data option is unchecked, but the problem persists.

In the  Add Project Output Group dialog box, I have added  both the Crystal Report and

Access mdb file, but they don't seem to be communicating in the executable file.

I've also tried refreshing the report numerous times

Any further suggestions would most welcome

0 Kudos

CR only supports Access through an ODBC connector now because CR for VS is both 32 and 64 bit and Microsoft doesn't support JET in 64 bit.

If converting to ODBC does fix the issue then use Process Monitor and compare the files where it works and doesn't work and likely look for access denied or fiel does not exist

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don / Saurabh

I'm not sure how to convert to ODBC; could you please advise?

Regards

Marcus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don

I'm thinking the solution might be something more basic. When I update the database in the Bin\Debug folder which the Crystal Report was linked to in the original project, it also updates the Crystal Report in the executable file. I must be missing something.

Regards

Marcus

0 Kudos

Open up the 32 bit ODBC Administrator located in \windows\syswow64 folder and create a new System DSN. Select the MDB driver. Once it's created then set location inf the Report to use ODBC and save the report.

Set your Project to x86 mode and not Any CPU.

Use Procmon to see what is missing then.