cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Query view and saving of the same

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am very much confused with understanding of saving of a query view. I have learnt that query view is a saving of an instance of query for a specific navigational state, which helps in faster presentation of data.

My concern is, when we save a query view, we can save it only in favorites, which is not visible to other users. We are building workbooks with query views instead of direct queries, since the former runs faster. I am not clear, when I create a workbook based on query views saved in my favorites, how will it help the end user, who refreshes the data, under his SAP logon ID. We create workbooks and share them to user over mail.

I have heard a lot about query views, but still I am not convinced with the explanation that even if query view lies in my favorites, other user (to whom I shared WB) benefits with query view.

In short, if a query view saved in a favorites of a user, can it be accessed by other users, when they refresh WB containing the concerned query view?

Could you please help me on this. Please let me know, if I am not clear or if more information is needed.

Thanks and regards,

Shashidhar Nagavelli

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shashi ,

You can move on with your development as suggested below:-

Using Query Views

You can use query views as data providers for the following BI applications:

● To perform data analysis or planning in BEx Analyzer workbooks, use the query views as data providers for design items in the BEx Analyzer.

● To perform data analysis or planning in BEx Web applications, use the query views as data providers for Web items in the BEx Web Application Designer.

● To display the data in a formatted report, also known as an enterprise report, use the query views as data providers in the BEx Report Designer.

You can get the detailed information about the use of query view from the following link :-

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/46/0294bc82f37041e10000000a155369/content.htm

Hope it helps.

Navesh

0 Kudos

Hi Navesh,

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked that link already.

My confusion is, if I create a QV in my favourites, build a WB with it, and the same WB I share with a user, will he benefit (w.r.t. WB refresh time) from the QV, when he refreshes data, on comparison with WB built using direct query.

Once, we build a data provider with a QV, we can see only parent query in the data provider definition and query view is no more available in data provider definition.

Please let me know, if I am not clear.

Thanks and regards,

Shashidhar Nagavelli

0 Kudos

Hi ,

Basically we need a query view when We don't need all chars and KF combination on the report.

e.g. I have one query Q1 with below Structure -

Material Plant country KF1 KF2 KF3

Now I need a first query Q2 which shows values as per plant and second Q3 as per Country.

So we will make a views with help of Q1 in analyzer.

You can use this view in WED to show both query in same page.

Hope it helps.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes user will be benefitted from it if the workbook is created on the query view as query view just contain very few characteristics and keyfigures.

Navesh

0 Kudos

Hi Navish,

I understand its benefit, I am not clear with its visibility to other users, when I create a QV in my favorites.

I mean, a query view created once, whether it is globally beneficial?

We have been building WBs with query views and sharing the same to users over mail, we are not saving them on servers, i.e. if users try to create a WB using a query view, which I built, they just cant, because it is limited to my favorites and favorites are limited by my SAP user ID. When we save a view in production, we have option to save only in favorites.

When they refresh WB created by me using a QV, saved in my favorites, is it useful in any better way? Or is it as good as WB based on direct queries.

I understand, a QV once created, exists independently like a query, but it has any limitations when is it directly saved in production, in a single user's favorite? Instead of moving it from dev systems.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,

Shashidhar Nagavelli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shashi,

QV can always be beneficial globally. I am not understanding why you are saving the view in your favourites. Query view should be saved in one of the roles provided to a group of users so that all the other users of that group can use that QV and build work book on that to utilize the benefits of the QV.

In our project we are using the similar approach and usera are quite frequently using the QV for creating the workbook and they can see the enhanced performance of the workbook.

Navesh

0 Kudos

Hi Navesh,

The reason is, we are still finalizing what workbooks are to be built and placed in server, so on a temporary basis we are building workbooks and sharing to users over mails or share points.

I understand the working of query view completely, but I am told that if a user creates a query view in his favourites, other users can also benefit from it, when user 1 shares his workbook to others, which I dont find any logic to convince myself.

Thanks and regards,

Shashidhar.

Answers (0)