cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to Informix database in PowerBuilder 12.6

Former Member
0 Kudos

I installed a test version of PowerBuilder 12.6 Enterprise on my computer. I am unable to connect to my Informix 11.70 database from within PowerBuilder 12.6. I have Informix I-connect software - version 2.81 -  installed on my computer. I am able to successfully connect to my database using the Ilogin.exe utility. I can also connect to my database in my old PowerBuilder 8.03 environment. However, when I try to connect to my database from within PowerBuilder 12.6, I get the error message "Unable to load the requested database interface. Please make sure both the interface and client software are correctly installed." I do have the PBIN9.12.dll installed in my PowerBuilder 12.6 directory, and the PowerBuilder documentation says that I should be able to connect if I have that and version 2.81 or later of I-connect. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

chris_keating
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It is likely that either the 32 bit client is not installed or it is not in the search path PowerBuilder is using to resolve its location.

As an aside. PowerBuilder has resolved and located the PB database driver DLL. Had this not been the case, PB would report an error like:

DBMS %1 is not supported in your current installation.

where %1 is the value supplied in the Transaction object DBMS property. Technically, PB only reads the first 3 characters of that entry and uses that to determine the DLL name of the database interface to load but it would report the full DBMS value in the error message.

For example, here is the Informix v9 DBMS entry:

sqlca.DBMS = "IN9 Informix v9.x"

PB would use IN9 to resolve the interface DLL name as pbin9126.dll. If that DLL was not found, PB would report the error message:

DBMS IN9 is not supported in your current installation.

In some cases, you could see an error like:

DBMS is not supported in your current installation.

That indicates that the DBMS property is not populated at the time that the connection is attempted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

PowerBulder 12.6 was unable to find the Informix client software, even though I did have the correct version installed on the computer. The computer had PowerBuilder 8.03 installed on it before we installed PowerBuilder 12.6 on it. As a result, the path was confused. We ended up installing PB 12.6 on a different PC that had no other PowerBuilder software installed on it. On that PC, PowerBuilder 12.6 had no problems finding the Informix SDK.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary;

Is the PB "Shared" folder in your System path (for example, on my PC:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase126\Shared\PowerBuilder)?

Also, is the Informix SDK binary fodler in your System Path?

Note: You can not use both the IN9 and I10 interfaces in a single PowerBuilder session.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Question: Is the system path in the pb.ini file, or in the Windows Registry? If the Windows Registry, which key is it under?

-Mary Anne

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am referring to the MS-Windows System Path.

RHMB "My Computer" and choose "properties" then Advanced System Settings => Environment Variables. Then look for the "path" entry & setting.