cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu server w/PostgreSQL database - no report viewer on UI

Former Member
0 Kudos

taking a desktop program and migrating it to a web application.Want to install Crystal reports on a single Ubuntu server, connect to a PostgreSQL database where the server requests a PDF report to be generated on a given template. The UI has no report viewer. The server invokes the progam via command line call or by some other means. Anyone out there that might offer insight? The sales force there is not very helpful

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello DReese,

There's no indication that you're looking to create a custom java application for this in your original post.

So what Crystal product are you installing on the server?

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ted,

Thank you for reading the question. We currently work with a company that has a desktop program which uses an old version of Crystal Reports. I've reviewed his program and was very impressed with how to quickly create reports with Crystal Reports. We currently have a web based program (does not use Java anywhere) in which we create our own reports by writing PostScript directly. Works very well and give us supreme control, but designing is non-existent so we're looking for a good replacement for the future. We use Ubuntu OS on the servers and would love to use the designer tool to make a template and then call CR via command line to invoke to process to spit out a PDF.

Here's how I got here. SAP sales staff are utterly useless. I posted numerous questions and phone calls, but I seem to be speaking Chinese to everyone. We have a web based program where the user uses a cool GUI and presses a print button. They expect to get a PDF to download. Everyone talks about a viewer that must be installed via Java. I've never used the program and I don't own one, so I'm a little in the dark as to what the viewer is and what the need is for it.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Duane Reese

p.s... For anyone else who reads this post, please do not badger me for being ignorant to the ways of Crystal Reports. These are questions for sales staff, but they threw me off to the forum as I was speaking a foreign language to them.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

So there's a couple of solutions, of increasing scalability:

1. Component SDK solutions - you'd code up either .NET or Java web app, and Crystal Reports would be formatted within the web application process. Designing report templates would typically be done using a Designer tool.

2. Report Application Server - a server-client tool. You'd code up either .NET or Java web app, and Crystal Reports would be formatted within the RAS server process. Designing report templates would typically be done using a Designer tool. Note that this is a OEM/Partner solution, purchased via OEM/Partner licensing with SAP.

3. Crystal Reports Server or BusinessObjects Enterprise. An enterprise-level server-client tool. You'd code up either .NET or Java to access reports, or use 'URL reporting' that links to the portal software that comes with Enterprise (so no SDK coding needs to be done).

I'm assuming here you're not interested in custom Java coding, so this was mistransferred.

I'd recommend re-contacting SAP sales and insisting on speaking with someone familiar with the above solutions - they're there, and a good one can certainly guide you to the most appropriate solution.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

0 Kudos

Hi Duane,

Now that we have much more info and I don't have to guess I moved your post back to CR Designer forum. It's kind of a generic question so here is as good as place as any other forum. And it's not a Java issue so no point in being in that forum.

Ted gave you the scalability options but to get back to your update. CR by itself will not run from a command line. What that other company did is likely done through coding so if you are asking if they can update the app then I suggest you contact them to see if they have an update. If you took over the code then we need more info and what you should do is post your question to the .NET SDK forum:

If using the standard Product lines then Sales should be able to give you what you want with no Programming required....

Also, CR Designer is a Windows only application so you will need one Windows OS PC to create/design/alter reports which then can be published/saved to any app server. If programming in .NET you'll also need a Windows OS PC.

One more suggestion, search these forums - top right corner, on PostGreSQL database issues. There are specific versions CR only supports. I believe it's 10.1 B, it's been some time since I used it and the PC I had it installed on is long gone.... I also recall now that the PG OpenEdge developer Language used our legacy RDC ( craxdrt.dll ) report engine to run the PG code. Unfortunately the RDC has been deprecated as of CR XI R2, version previous to CR 2008. So I don't believe you'll be able to use PG as a dev tool.

Thanks again

Don

0 Kudos

WOW... where to start....

How about telling us what version of Crystal Reports you are using?

And because you are using Ubuntu I am assuming this is a Java Application so I moved your question to the Java SDK forum.

Please give us as much info to help you as you can....

Thank you

Don