cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to break out by week instead of dates with in the week

Former Member
0 Kudos

<p>I have issues that are catagorized by severity. What i need to do is this. I need to understand the mean time between issues. My formula for that works perfect for doing that. It&#39;s grouped by create date of weekly. the group name in this case is the group 2 level.</p><p>If GroupName ({SPRT_Issue.Internal_Severity}) > ""<br />Then<br />ToText<br />(<br />(<br />Maximum ({SPRT_Issue.Create_Date}, {SPRT_Issue.Internal_Severity})<br />- <br />Minimum ({SPRT_Issue.Create_Date}, {SPRT_Issue.Internal_Severity})<br />)<br />*24<br />/Count ({SPRT_Issue.Create_Date}, {SPRT_Issue.Internal_Severity})<br />)<br />Else<br />"N/A"</p><p>&#160;</p><p>I really need to do is instead of saying give me the first "create date of the issue" (meaning if the first issue occurs on thrusday of that week then start the clock) I really need it to say for the whole week period, no matter when the first issue actually happens, give me the mean time between issue. It&#39;s slight distinction between mean time between actiual issues and mean time between issue in a given block of time - in this case weekly.</p><p>I tried putting in "weekly" on the date field but either I&#39;m missing a paren somewhere or it gives me error about needing to be a number and so on. I know it&#39;s something simple but I just can&#39;t see it right now. </p><p>thanks</p><p>&#160;</p><p>&#160;</p>

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you want the whole week, add a boolean test to see what day of week your date is and then do the appropriate math on that. This is some pseudo code that may help:

select DayOfWeek({field.date})

case 1 : totext({field.date}) //Sunday
case 2 : totext({field.date}-1) //Monday - must subtract a day
etc...

Hopefully that will give you an idea of where to go next.

- Kathryn Webster (Report Design Consultant)
          Kat&#39;s News: http://diamond.businessobjects.com/blog/279

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess(I actually know I suck) I'm just not good at coding or I didn't do a very good job of explaining. The simplest view I think I can explain this with is this.Â

If I have block of time - say Monday to Friday. I have tickets coming in at all different times. For the complete block of time what is the average/mean time that they are comming in. My original calc was based on when the first ticket hit (clock starts)to the last (clock stops)which isn't really the total available time that tickets could come in at.

I do appriciate any assisstance you can provide.Â

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK. Let's break this down a little. Give me a table with your two dates that occur per record and what ultimately you want to appear instead of those dates. Basically, what are the inputs and the outputs?

I'll try my best. 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay - let's see if I can frame this correcty. My report - simulated view

(group - Issue.Create_Date     < - grouped as weekly)

1/1/2006

1/7/2206

Issue.Issue_Severity  Issue.Create_Date    Mean time (calculated field).

Right now that's the simplest form of the report. In my calculation the max/min of Issue.Create_Date with in the "week" does not start until the first issue hits which may be 12 hours in on Sunday of that week or it may be 3Pm on Tuesday so I end up with only mean time between issue once the issue start flowing in. I'd like to know, accross the whole 7X24 - 168hours - what is the mean time between issues broken out by severity. You can refer to the calculation I have listed above. i just can't seem to figur out that weekly block verses the start-stop first to last issue. It's kind of like know the mean time within a static defined block of time verses a dynamic time range.

Thanks - I know this is goofy but it is what it is.

Former Member
0 Kudos

With your info above and the dates provided, what would the mean time be for those values?Â

Answers (0)