cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TREX Index Performance

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Will two indexes each containing 75,000 documents provide better search performance than a single index containing 150,000 documents? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

frank_friedrich
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

this is as well a question of the size of your index and the TREX version. This depends as well on the distribution of the words (terms) of your documents within the index.

Without knowing all this things in the theoretical point of view one index is faster than using two indexes.

Best regards

Frank

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I'm sure this is a complicated question and I'm not trying to over-simplify. I was wondering whether having 2 indexes on a multiprocessor TREX server would provide some measure of parallelization and thus better performance than having a single index with containign the same information.

frank_friedrich
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

when you have for example 2 or more CPU's and using at least 2 TREX Index Services. Now assigning the two indexes to the 2 different Index Service. This is indeed faster than using one index. But it is only faster when the index data is in the memory.

Best regards

Frank

Kyle
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Jon -

Based on my experience, the TREX search is not the rate limiting step on searches. Instead, typically rendering the KM search results and then applying the filters such as ACL, TBP, etc. take up the majority of the time. That being said, having more, smaller indices may help in index performance, especially if you are NOT using delta indexes.

Kind regards,

Kyle

jonh_goldberg
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I have gone ahead and split the monolithic index up into several smaller indices. This will give the users more flexibility in their search options, keep things more maintainable, and may provide better performance. Thanks for all the feedback.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

Creating two or more indexes is faster than one index in many cases

just assume if user is searching a document and if he uses advanced search option he has the option to select index group/index and he can search the document within this index group / index.

say if u have two department u can select the index group as dept1 and dept2 so user from dept 1 will search for document in dept1.

IN this way u can reduce trex processing time.

But there are lot of other possibilities which will optimize your index.

Regards,

Vijay.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

See the thread below

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/thread?threadID=338652

Koti Reddy