cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation of characters from english to french

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i am translating objects from english to german, french,italian and spanish..

few characters like è, é dont get displayed properly in the translated languages..

It is showing some other special character..

What may be the problem?

please help..

Regards,

Sanjeev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

carsten_buechert
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjeev,

this is a often faced problem in web development. Somehow your landscape is mixing up character encodings.

To show up 'special characters' every character needs to be inserted into system and read out from system using a correct (UTF-8) encoding. The used system components (Browser, Web Server, Application Server, RDBMS) must be able to work with the correct encoding and be configured to do so.

Normally, a standard portal installation has no problems with UTF-8. Please check your browser settings:

Firefox: View -> Character Encoding -> UTF-8

IE: View -> Encoding -> Unicode

Attention: You need to ensure, that the browser is using correct encoding when you enter your translations.

P.S.: Where do you get your translations from? Are you doing a copy and paste from a file? Or do you enter them by keyboard?

HTH,

Carsten

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had this problem while working on a Web Dynpro project. The solution I found was to replace the special characters with thier Unicode escaped values. So the word "numéro" would look like "num\u00E9ro" (where the é character is replaced with the escaped value \u00E9). I would try this and see if it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

the displayed characters are--

Spanish

ó--- ó

é---é

Italian

à ---Ã

French

è -

-

è

é -

-

é

ç -

-

ç

German

ü--- ü

ä--- ä

ö--ö

ya the problem occurs only in the detailed navigation...

I am using EP 5 portal..

regards,

Sanjeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

The problem is that whenever i click on some link, the special characters appear on the page. And the characters è, é etc are correcty displayed when the page is refreshed.

i have checked the browser settings also and used encoding as unicode(UTF-8)and made sure, that the browser was using correct encoding when i entered the translations.

i got the translations from a microsoft excel file. i copied the translations from that file but it didnt work..

i tried pasting the contents from excel to ms word and then translating it but the same problem occured.

Now what may be the reason??

Regards,

Sanjeev

carsten_buechert
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjeev,

could you try posting the displayed characters here in the forum? And please try to copy you text from excel to an advanced text editor (Notepad++, Scite, UltraEdit), switch to UTF-8, and then paste that text as a translation into your application. Or try entering the characters by keyboard.

Did I understand you that the problem only occurs in the detailed navigation?

What Version of EP do you use?

Greetings,

Carsten