cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking history while loading from flat file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

I have a scenario where in have to load data from flat file in regular intervals and also want to track the changes made to the data.

the data will be like this and it keep on changes and the key is P1,A1,C1.

DAY 1---P1,A1,C1,100,120,100

DAY 2-- P1,A1,C1,125,123,190

DAY 3-- P1, A1, C1, 134,111,135

DAY 4-- P1,A1,C1,888,234,129

I am planing to load data into an ODS and then to infocube for reporting what will be the result and how to track history like if i want to see what was the data on Day1 and also current data for P1,A1,C1.

Just to mention as i am loading from flat file i am not mapping RECORDMODE in ODS from flat file..

Thanks and regards

Neel

Message was edited by:

Neel Kamal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

Depending on the detail of data required u can introduce one more key ( date or timestamp ) into the ODS ,it will take care of historical data.

if u want to see data for Day1 ,in Bex u can filter it for that day.

for current data do not chose any filter. ur values for P1A1 etc gets aggregated.

You dont have to map 0RECORDMOD as it is automatic.

Hope this helps. assign points if useful.

regards,

biyaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Biyaz,

if i add the time stamp then all the records will be in ODS by that i can only track history but not current as you mentioned it will aggregate then the result will be wrong right

for example

day 1--p1 100

again in Day2 p1 changed to 150

so the current value should be p1 150 but not p1 250

so aggregate thing won't work .

thanks

Neel

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Neel

i think that u need to create 2 ODS one for history ,and one for current value.

regards

biyaz

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You don't mention your BI release level, so I will assume you are on the current release, SAP NetWeaver BI 2004s.

Consider loading to a write-optimized DataStore object, to strore the data. That way, you automatically will have a unqiue technical key for each record and it will be kept for historical purposes. In addition, load to a standard DataStore object which will track the changes in the change log. Then, load the cube from the change log (will avoid your summarization concern), as the changes will be updates (after images) in the standard DataStore Object.

Thanks for any points you choose to assign

Best Regards -

Ron Silberstein

SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot for your contribution, yes i am on BI7 and i think the solution you provided will work but i am bit confused about the order you gave me can you simplify a bit more because i am not familar with the Write Optimized ODS functionality.

like which one do i need to load first

i think

Write OPtimized ODS >>>>Standard ODS>>>> Infocube...

am i right in the order can you give me steps if i am wrong.

thanks and regards

Neel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

can somebody update me on this scenario please

thanks and regards

Neel