cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking down a record in an ODS or Cube.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just found 3 records in an ODS through Listcube. Two of them are faulty and I need to track down how they got into the ODS: Whether these records got in through a process chain or flat file load? The date and in particular who loaded them.

What is the best way to approach such a case?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

go to manage-> request it will contain the request id select the required one and click on the monitor it will detail tab which will contain the entire information.

assign points if helpful,.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi v.Pankesh,

thanks but your instructions will lead me to many requests and that I understand. I know of a record and I am not sure which of these multiple requests loaded the record in question. Is the only way going through the hundreds of Requests in order to identify which one loaded the record in question? I think there much be a way around it. I look forward to your guidance.

Thnaks.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wonder if you looked into the suggestions that I posted above...if yu can let us know whether this worked or not, we can provide further ideas...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhanu,

I tried but these were many aspects of your post that I did not follow: On your point “… first you can see the update rules for this ODS to see where it is being loaded from, then check if you can find these records in the PSA table” Yes, I looked at the data flow and 2-clicked to go into the update rule. I could then see Data Fields and their corresponding Source Fields.

It does not tell “where it is being loaded from”, unless you meant the InfoSource name. Also, these are all fields but my question had to do more with records in the ODS. Unless I missed the point you were trying to make. And I did not follow how from the update rules you asked me to check …. The PSA.

Now, what is the “active table” and which other tables are involved here? And if the other tables have request IDs, why not check those but the active one?

Can do these tables have names which can be run against se16 to see their contents? (If so, how do I see these table names?)

Thanks.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda,

If you right click the ODS and choose Manage (from the RSA1 screen). Goto the contents tab and here you can see the 3 tables. New data table is the table to which the data is loaded when you load data to the ODS. This data is then activated (ODS activation). This empties the New Data table and the data goes to the Active Data table and the Change Log. New Data table has the request ID (but then this table is emptied, so no use here). Active data table does not have the request ID (so when you do a LISTCUBE to look up the data, you can find the records, but not the request through which they were loaded. If you cannot see the request ID then you cannot track down where and when this record came from). The ChangeLog table does have a Request ID, but this is no the one with which the data was loaded in the first place.

So what I proposed was: Look at the update rules. This will lead you to the InfoSource. Then from the InfoSource you can find out the datasource. Using the datasource you can find out the PSA tables. And assuming that the data has not be deleted from the PSA table, you can try to find the recrods in question by supplying the char values to identify it. And in the PSA table you can also find the Request ID on each record. Copy that request ID and use it in Transaction RSRQ to find full details on when that request was loaded and by who etc.

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Very good clarification, thanks so much. I have 2 follow up questions:

1.Now I am getting the point but missing a few: You indicated that “If you cannot see the request ID then you cannot track down where and when this record came from).” I am assuming here that you meant “Request Number” since that is what I saw, no Request ID.

I get the points you made on the New and Active table, but I don’t seem to get that of the Change Log table. It has a request number, and it has some data, so what did you mean by “…have a Request ID, but this is no the one with which the data was loaded in the first place.”

If I know of a record (with Delivery Number 5555555) and I access the Change Log table shouldn’t this point me to the direction of who and when it was loaded?

Why do I need the original Request number (if you are saying that this is different from the original Request number) in order to know the when and who question?

2. Also, following your guide, the update rule led me to InfoSource: 2LIS_12_VCTIM and your post indicated that “…then from the InfoSource you can find out the datasource”

Now, I am not sure this is the best approach, but I went to the InfoSource tree and searched for the Infosource (2LIS_12_VCTIM) and from the Data Flow, double clicked on the Data Source which also has happen to have the same name as the InfoSource.

You noted that “Using the datasource you can find out the PSA tables. ….. by supplying the char values to identify it” can you help me from this point.

How do I find the PSA table with the name of the datasource at this point?

Can you clarify for me “by supplying the char values”

Thanks

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda,

1. Yes, Request number and Requset ID is the same thing. The Request ID/number is the changelog is the one generated by activating the data and plays a role when you are loading the ODS data to a further target. It does not provide more info about the data that was loaded into this ODS (the info that you are looking for). As I mentioned, if you input the Request ID/Number into RSRQ, it will open up the monitor for this load and here can see details of who loaded and when etc...

2. It is common for the datasource and InfoSource name to be the same. To look up the PSA table you can follow any method mentioned here:

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So can I conclude that as long as the ODS is activated, we CANNOT track the data the way I want through RSRQ. So it looks like the use of RSRQ is very limited, and it can be used only before activation?

If we had written down the request ID before the activation, at this point if we run RSRQ to see the Monitor information (even though it was later activated)?

On the second point, so once I got the PSA name, I went under the PSA tree, and there were several PSAs listings with same name but on different dates, each with a “Technical Name” When I entered this technical name as the Request ID in RSQR it lead me to monitor. I guess the technical name is the Request ID here.

By the way, from here, I could see the Date/Time/User from Monitor.

This has been very helpful, after your response to this, I will close this ticket and open a similar ticket to discuss how track down how data got into a cube (who loaded it /when) if this discussion here had been about a data from a cube.

Thanks a lot.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda,

You are right...the use of RSRQ is limited when trying to track down the request loaded into an ODS, because after the activation of the data, the Request ID/Number is lost. You can use RSRQ to go to the details of a particulare request, if you loaded data through the PSA and the identified request has not been deleted from the PSA.

About the cube: It is pretty simple:

1. Use LISTCUBE to track down the record in question and note the request number.

2. Use this request number in RSRQ to get to the details.

This will only work if the data of the cube has not been compressed. Once the data is compressed, the request ID information is lost, and then the only way to figure out would be like what we were going through above, i.e. using the PSA table to track the record, and finding the request ID and so on.

Hope this helps...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda,

With an ODS it can be a bit tricky as the active table does not have the request ID, but first you can see the update rules for this ODS to see where it is being loaded from, then check if you can find these records in the PSA table (for the datasources loading into this ODS). Here you can see the Request ID and investigate further by using transaction RSRQ.

Hope this helps...