cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOGAF building blocks and ES packages

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been reading the TOGAF manual about building blocks, and was wondering if the solution building blocks are the same as ES packages.

/daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you need a quick answer I would say: no, there are not “the same”. But your question is a interesting one, as there is relationship between the two (especially in a situation when TOGAF is used as a enterprise architecture framework and SAP is chosen as a part or as a whole of the solution).

It is important to remember that TOGAT is a framework (independent from SAP). It is a detailed method and a set of supporting tools - for developing an enterprise architecture. The focus is on the enterprise architecture. One sentence definition of a TOGAF building block could be: a package of functionality defined to meet business needs. You can see that it is very accommodating definition but of course we can get to more details and start writing about ABBs and SBBs and of course the Solutions Continuum and the ADM.

And now ES Packages: they are part of SAP product and are the intellectual property of SAP. ES bundles are collections of enterprise services that can be used to extend the functionality of ERP2005. The packages enable rapid deployment of selected new functionality in a way that minimizes disruption on core production systems. And I think that there is a suggestion not to use the ES Packages (in original form or any updated/modified versions) in any non-SAP context.

I hope that you can see where is the difference. And as well how the two can be linked together, especially when selected SBBs are used to "populate" the designed architecture.

If you have more questions, please ask.

Kind Regards, Jack

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

in my opinion ES packages and more granular Enterprise Services are important building blocks of SAP Enterprise Architecture Framework, which is based on TOGAF and ESOA focused.

Building blocks are parts of Repository.

Architecture Development Cycle, Resource Base and Repository are parts of SAP EA Framework. See blogs of Natan Gur,

Regards

Krzysztof Ziemba