cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table EDI40 size grown too big

former_member325638
Participant

Hi Experts,

In our BW system; we are trying to clear some used DB space. While searching for the top 10 tables in the system. It was found that table EDI40 is consuming too much space and is on second place.
As there is no IDOC deletion job is running tin the system. There are IDOCs lying since 2006. I tried deleting very old IDOCs from WE11 and half of the IDOCs in the table got deleted. But it did not make any difference is size consumed by table. When I checked in DB02old; the size of table remained the same.

Could you please advise how can I reduce the size consumed by this table. We do not need archiving of very old IDOCs. And direct deletion and space clearance is required.  Could you please advise how it can be done.

Regards

Varun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Regardless of your procedure to cleanup the table, space won't be retrieved until the table is reorganized.

Read, Note 646681 - Reorganizing tables with BRSPACE

Regards, Juan

former_member325638
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Juan for the quick response. I have gone through the note and will be trying online reorganisation of table EDI40 using

brspace -u / -f tbreorg -t EDI40

and check if it goes fine. I hope there should not be any issue in reorganising online. 

After deleting the data from table EDI40; I can see small reduction in overall used DB space. Could you please advise; whether the data deletion from table directly reftects in total used DB space. Or that is also dependant on reorganisation.

In case of direct impact on DB02 total used space; we can leave reorganisation for later state when system is offline for maintetnance and try offline reorganisation as well.

Could you please provide your recommendations

Thanks

Varun

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

I hope there should not be any issue in reorganising online.

I don't usually "hope" :-D, I would take a full backup first and do it during a off hours or do a test run in a Sandbox.

Could you please advise; whether the data deletion from table directly reftects in total used DB space. Or that is also dependant on reorganisation.

You should not delete data directly from the table, you should use tools provided for cleanup, you don't want to end with inconsistencies. Having said that if you see no reduction on the size of the table then reorganization is you best option.

Regards, Juan

former_member325638
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan,

Yes; I tried deletion from WE11 from sandbox now. But later will need to do it in production.

Please advise what would be the safe and recommended way to clear space from table EDI40 and help overall space usage of the system. Very old IDOCs deletion can be done as per our BW team

Thanks

Varun

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The best way to clean-up is to archive them, but as you said you do not want to keep them you might as well use WE11 to remove them

Regards, Juan

former_member325638
Participant
0 Kudos

Perfect.   Thanks a lot Juan for help

Answers (0)