cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase warm standby replication

former_member592469
Discoverer
0 Kudos

we have 4 production servers where approx 250 databases resides, out of which 100 databases identified critical for business on which i need to set up warm standby replication setup.

each server having 25 critical databases on which i need to setup warm standby.

i am planning to setup 4 rep server that means one rep server for each production server.

each rep server will have the load of approx 25 databases warm standby replication.

rep server config (4 vcpu, 32 GB ram)

kindly suggest me if any better suggestion to architect this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sladebe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Off the cuff, nothing sounds completely horrible with your description, but it all depends on your replication volume, not the number of databases per repserver.

There's an endless mind numbing number of turning parameters for the repserver. Basically, you want to make sure you have enough memory allocated to various functions in the repserver, but not too much memory. Make sure command batching sizes are big, but not too big.

A basic monitoring command is:

admin stats, sysmon,"display", "00:00:05"

Where "display" means send output to the terminal session (instead of the repserver system database (RSSD)). Interpreting the output requires a lot of expertise.

I thought I read somewhere that there are new direct ASE-to-ASE replication options (ie. with no separate repserver process). Maybe part of the HADR (extra license) feature set?

Also, the "Edge" version of ASE (replaces Small Business Edition) supposedly includes warm standby replication servers for no extra cost:

http://www.doblerconsulting.com/preserved-content-pages/sap-ase-edge-edition/

sladebe
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Also see new smart (automatic) memory control options:

Replication Server Administration Guide Volume 2 -> Automatic Memory Management -> Smart Memory Control