cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase ASE 16.0 install problem on Windows 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Just downloaded Sybase ASE 16.0 Developer Edition to test on my Windows 7 ... (ase160_winx64.zip) from:
https://global.sap.com/campaign/ne/sybase/ase_developer_edition_download

Sybase ASE 15.7 is already installed, assuming that 15.x and 16.x versions can co-exist on same machine.

I get installation errors in the ASE_Suite.log

Note that I have to unzip the archive on my Linux because the ase160_winx64.zip file is not identified as a valid zip file... (???)

Can someone help?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Note that I have selected the UTF-8 charset at installation, and it failed again...

I could change the locales.dat file during installation process, get back one step with [previous] button and then continued with [next].

I had to add following lines by hand in the [NT] section of locales.dat:

locale = POSIX, us_english, utf8
    locale = en_US.utf8, us_english, utf8
Former Member
0 Kudos

I made some progress: By removing installation options such as jConnect, ODBC driver, ADO.NET and Python / PERL / PHP extensopn modules... it seems that the install went further, but looking at the Windows services panel, the "Sybase SQLServer_mymachinename" failed to start (and does not start).

dawn_kim
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastien,

You need to post the last lines of the ASE log. So the ASE people can help with why the ASE did not start.

Thanks,
Dawn Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

You indicated you had to unzip the files on Linux.  In order to install on your Windows, please make sure the files are then copied to the local drive and then try the installation again.  The files need to be local on thw windows machine in order to install.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lois and thanks for considering my issue.

Indeed I have unzipped the files on Linux, but then I made a copy of the entire folder to my Windows machine before starting to install.

- Why is the .zip archive not unzippable directly on Windows? Maybe it is corrupted after the download, or it's already corrupted on your site?

FYI:

sf@orion:/opt3/dbs/ase$ sum ase160_winx64.zip

63469 1201327

Can you double check please?

- What about the fact that an existing instance of Sybase ASE 15.7 is already installed?

- What about the installation log I provided?

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Did it not ask for upgrade while installing ASE 16.x?

I guess can provide more inputs.

Ali_Chalhoub
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I asked an ASE engineer to follow up on this thread.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, yes the ASE 16 installer has detected ASE 15.7, but I wanted to install both versions in parallel in a separate folder. I guess this is supported since the installer leaves me the choice.