cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppress printing if no records - does not work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm using crystal reports XI to print labels fired by application. Label had condition in record selection in select expert that works fine - no records are returned when they are not proper for the condition. Still crystal generated empty page for the printer. I recoded DB view that is used for the label and set condition in it. Now query does not return any rows, I deleted condition in select expert - still crystal prints empty page.

Suppress printing if no record is selected both in File - Report Options and File - Options - Reporting.

I searched for similar situation on forum but didn't find exactly the same.

Thanks for any replies.

Piotr

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Piotr,

The option 'Suppress Printing if no record is selected' shows a blank page by suppressing static text objects etc if the report returns zero records.

That is exactly what it's supposed to do. What happens in your case?

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the preview there is empty page, query generated by crystal return no rows - but when printing the label it prints empty page. What I know from crystal 8.5 that I used longer is that crystal should send print job to the printer but it would hava NA pages or it wouldn't print anyway. Here page has over 100kb and it prints empty paper.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you try creating a blank Crystal Report, it will still have a very small footprint (size of disk).

I don't think there is a way to stop the report from not being 'printed'. If the report is blank and it goest to the printer, then it is quite obvious that a blank page will be printed, unless you control this behaviour from another application.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

From my experience with CR 8.5 (and smaller with CR XI) suppress printing if no records should prevent from printing blank page. In this case I have a problem with it. I even created empty report with only one section and field to make sure it is not something with the report - it sill prints empty page.

Maybe there is some other way to stop printing blank pages...

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you mean to say that CR 8.5 would Not print a blank page when such a report was sent to the printer?

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

If query didn't return any rows and suppress printing when now rows checked it would not print blank page.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You mean the printer that the report is connected to, simply won't print anything, isn't it?

Hmm..I don't think that's how it works with CR XI and the higher versions now.

You should try posting this as an Enhancement Request at http://ideas.sap.com.

After you post the idea, please paste the URL to the idea here and we'll vote up.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes exactly it won't print anything.

Is CR XI still supported? Because in my case no upgrade can be done so if this does not work in current version I need to find a workaround.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR XI is not supported, however you can still upgrade to CR XI R2 SP6 and I would certainly recommed doing that considering it's a free upgrade.

Please have a look at this blog for more info on how to upgrade.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have SP6 already.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great! So, I'm assuming this is the default behaviour of the product now.

CR 8.5 and CR XI R2 are two products that are different in a lot of ways. Please post this as an Enhancement Request.

-Abhilash

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Umm, Abhilash being the Master of all report design, I hesitate to jump in. But there should be an option; Suppress Printing if No Records:

Not sure if that will do the trick, but it may(?).

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Errr, that option is already selected according to Piotr!

What they need is, when such a report is blank, it should also Not be printed by a printer. This seemed to be the default behaviour with CR 8.5.

-Abhilash

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I looked and this should work. In CR 2013 and CRVS. Anything before CR 2013 is not fixed and is not planned to be fixed...

- Ludek

JWiseman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Piotr,

is there any way that you can attach your report, when it has 0 records to this discussion? you'll need to change the .rpt extension to .txt in order to do so.

-jamie

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahh. Thanks, Ludek!

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

unfortunately my corporate security policy does not allow me to send any files used internally.

Ludek,

thanks for info.

Answers (0)