cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Substring in BEx?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the Business Explorer front end, is it possible to select and display substrings of characteristic values?

I have a characteristic "LOTID" and Key Figure "QUANTITY" denoting the lot id in a manufacturing process and the quantity contained in the lot.

The values of LOTID are of the type 'ABCEF.01', 'ABCDEF.02', 'ABCDEF.03', etc.

For example,

LOTID QUANTITY

ABCDEF.01 10

ABCDEF.02 20

ABCDEF.03 30

The requirement is to only display a single record in the BEx report by taking a substring of all characters of LOTID to the left of the point (".")

i.e. ABCDEF 30.

Can this be done directly in the front end without having to create a new info object (e.g. LOT_FAMILY) and having to populate it via a transfer or update rule?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the confusion.

The characters of LOTID to the left of the point "." can take any value. ABCDEF was just an example of a particular LOTID. There could be others such as EFGHI.01, EFGHI.02, JKLMN.01, JKLMN.02, etc. etc.

Essentially, I want to take a substring of all characters of LOTID to the left of the point "." and if possible do that in the front end (i.e without having to update another infoobject in a update rule or start routine).

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best way is to do in the update rule itself. As the LOTID will have many pattern. Itis good rom performance view point too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is exactly what I want. In the above example,

LOTID QUANTITY

ABCDEF.01 10

ABCDEF.02 20

ABCDEF.03 30

There are 3 records as above. I want to see a single record on my report denoting the sum for each LOTID group

e.g

ABCDEF 60

i.e. I want to aggregate all inbound records where the char value to the left of the point "." is the same.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the new selection you will restrict the LOID with ranges from ABCDEF.01 to ABCDEF.03. You will have the quantity in columns. This will give you the desired result but is your requirement to only this pattern or do you have other patterns for LOTID?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No sure how that would work. I want to sum up the QUANTITY for all LOTID's where the characters to the left of the point "." are the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That will sum up all the values of quantity for the restricted range of LOTID's in eth new selection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try out this.....

In a new selection drag the LOTID and restruct the values as range i.e from value to to value. This willl give desired output if you always want to display similar pattern data for LOTID.

not sure but try out and check, it may meet your requirement.