cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subscript and superscript is not getting genrated in report

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

i am using crystalreports 2008, in which i have tried to enter some superscript and subscript which are not getting in the final report genrated by crystal reports.

if i am writting x power y, it comes as xy in the report.

what shall i do ..?

please help me out from this issue..

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

CR does not have an in-built function to show subscripts/superscripts.

You would need to create a text object with the subscript/superscript value, reduce the font size and place it beside the original number/text such that this text object looks like the subscript/superscript.

That's the only workaround for now. Please do post this as an Enhancement at http://ideas.sap.com

- Abhilash

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash for instant reply

but if we do like this then how will we identify between subscript and superscript..?

Thanks

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

If you place the text object somewhere above the original number/text then it becomes a superscript.

Similarly anything below the number/text becomes a subscript.

So, if you were to show CO2 (with 2 being the subscript), then you would create a text object first to display CO, then another text object (with a font size much smaller than the other text object) with just 2. This Text object will be place somewhere below the other text object.

-Abhilash

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is already entered on the SAP Idea Place here:

https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/ideas/7122

It has been voted up only four times (one of these is mine) since it's creation on November 25, 2011. The more votes, the more pressure on Program Management to include this in CR.

Also, see this KB for details of what is supported and what is not supported as far as these interpretations are concerned:

1214798 - What RTF tags are supported in Crystal Reports?

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

can you please tell me is it possible in later version crystal Reports or we need to follow the same way for newer version also.

because in my report genration process, i fatch data from database so i can't be sure about the content, whether it contains subscript/superscript, if it contain then can't identify the exact location of that.

Thanks

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Like Ludek mentioned, this has been posted as an Enhancement at the Ideas Place. As far as I know, this feature is not available in the latest Patch of Crystal Reports too.

So, is the superscript text saved in the database? Are they saved as RTF tags?

I just had a look at the KB posted by Ludek and it says that it does NOT support the superscript and subscript tags though.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhilash,

yeah, the report text(Data) is stored in data base and the subscript/superscript is saved as RTF tags.

actually i have tried to do this whit the latest version or crystal reports (2011) but as they didn't provide dlls with version i can't use the latest version.

so it means it can't be done with crystal reports with any of the version for dynamic data...?

Thanks

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes that is true!

Crystal Reports does not support all RTF tags as you may have found out. Hence, CR will never be able to tell that a particular character in a field value is subscript or superscript.

-Abhilash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

This worked with the Font Arial Unicode.

1. Create a new formula. 
  2. Insert chrw(ASCII value) in the formula created. 
  3. Select the font for the formula that supports superscript format. 
  4. ASCII value for superscript 1 to 9 is as follows:
Number123456789
ASCII185178179830883098310831183128313

The subscript values for 1 to 9 are 8321 to 8329.

Hope this helps!

- Nrupal