cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to create a Universe based on Bex query

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gurus,

I am (first time ofcourse) creating a Universe based on a Bex Query. I searched on SDN to find steps to craete a universe on top of Bex query and found a document written by tej Trivedi and found other threads also which explains all the steps.

I understood from his document that in case of OLAP Universes the Structure pan would be empty. And I will not see joins etc..Is that true?

How can I make sure that I will see data?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can't see the structure in universe. It just only the Class/object structure.

To ensure data validity, we have to validate from BEX query side.

By creating simple reports on top of universe, you can esnure data correctness.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no need to see the structure as this is all done in the Bex query.

It contains all the relation etc as definied in BW, turns your info cube into usable universe via queries

Can you imagine the work it takes to recreate SAP relations and restrictions etc?

If you would access the actual BW(?) database itself then you would see it as a 'normal'database and have to make relations.

Here i can access bex-analyzer and run the specific query getting my data outside of bo.

Check your sap-athorization if thats possible for you otherwise request it

former_member203111
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I know it is bit late but its never too late to ask question.

I have somewhat similar problem while creating universe on top of bex query.

I used Universe design tool in BOBJ 4.0 to create universe on top of BEX query. I successfuly created the connection, tested it and created the universe but somehow I cannot see any Chracteristics and Keyfigures (nothing at all) on the universe design interface. Allow external access on bex query is also checked.

The BEX query is in our Dev box and I am doing test on it so I can make sure that power users can create universe on the BEX query.

Can you please advise wheat did I miss or have done that all characteristics and key figures are not showing in the universe. Its all blank.

I will really appreciate your help on this, Best Regads

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe this is a cross post from here ?

So i will put my answer again:

Hi,

If you can select your BEx query, but the 'universe outline' in the webi query panel stays blank (i.e no available objects in the webi query panel) then you don't have enough rights (authorizations) on the BW -side.

to prove it, try using a sap_all profile in the universe connection .

regards,

H

p.s. there is a large section on the required authorizations in the Admin guide. Also a note covers it : Note 1585948 - No objects are visible in the query panel when creating a report using Interactive Analysis or BI Launchpad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, Universe is completely OLAP process.

The universe created from corporate data that mean's fixed data. So we can manipulate the database data in universe. Run the Queries in universe Againist the database Queries.connection Establish from database to universe and create a universe.

With out universe Structure we can't generate reports, So, create universe and make joins between tables,plan the structure with out errors and export it.you get accurate result.

One univese have only one Bex Query,the complete universe passed only one Query i.e A Bex Query. the structure of bex Query is converted to Cube format in report level, so we can generate a report from structure of cube. The cube is a data provider for report.

All the Best,

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can select the queries which are part of the cubes. And make sure that the query is part of the cube.

If still not listing then from Bex Query designer open the query from the cube and enable 'set to allow external access' in the properties of a query.

Now, the query should be available in the Universe Designer.

Take a look here:

http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?t=148969

Edited by: Swarna K on Mar 17, 2011 4:12 AM