Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start an application from BSP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying a simple thing as calling an EXE from a link on a BSP page:

<a href="c:notepad.exe">Start it..</a>

This works perfectly when clicking a HTML file, but fails when called as BSP page in WAS. There is no reaction whatsoever when clicking on this link when the browser (IE6) is called from WAS.

Opening the HTML file by double-clicking it works fine. Same machine, no security blocks...

Does anybody hava a hint?

TIA

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sreemsft
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

You Need give the exact path of your Notepad.Exe. Then only it can open the exe file.

Like this:-

<a href="c:winntnotepad.exe">Start it</a>

(or)

<a href="c:winntsystem32notepad.exe">Start it</a>

Thanks,

Sreekanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

thanks for all the response. Of course I did try all the suggested ways. But there seems to be some sort of blocking from the server.

The link to the file works in tests on one of our customers system. But I cannot get it working on ANY of our systems (WAS 6.20 PL 54 ?).

Coding is identical. And: If I take the output source code from the browser and paste it into a file, it works fine.

So the question should rather have been: What is it, that causes the server to do something I cannot see, that blocks my link to the file?

My tests:

1. Start bsp page as described above in WAS for test -> click on file link -> no action at all ! Browser's status bar shows correct link on mouse over.

2. Take output html code from test above (right click in browser...) and paste it into test file (e.g. test.htm). Double click to open this file in browser -> now clicking the link works fine!

IMHO the browser has identical source code in both cases, nevertheless acts different. Once the outrput from bsp is rendered to the browser, there should be not restrictions or influence from the WAS whatsoever. Thus the 2 tests should show identical results. Just ...... ????

I am really a bit puzzled...

TIA

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

could the problem be in your browser settings and the test server not being in your trusted sites zone? It would look this way since when the file's on a different server it's working differently. (I'd guess that if file opens were automatically accessed at all sites, lots of people would have their hard disks formatted because of malicious a-hrefs to format.exe

Try looking at your browser security settings, especially the file download and miscellaneous section for the zone the test server resides in. Or add the server to your trusted sites.

-Mikko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikko,

as I noted above there are no security restrictions on my test system. It works well, if I do the same thing on my workstation via opening a HTML file (instead of calling a BSP from the same workstation!).

And it works on the customer system - with a lot more restrictions!!

So very strange...

Thanks,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mikko,

I checked it again. Bingo -- you get the full points!!

I really had to enter the server into the list of trusted sites - even if I do not have any restrictions in our intranet (who knows why..).

Thanks a lot - you saved the weekend.

Peter

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

It might be some other problem, bcoz i m also able to open the notepad using a similar tag..like this

<a href = "c:\winnt\notepad.exe" >

Startit....

</a>

and that too in BSP page

Regards

Mithlesh

norbertk
Participant
0 Kudos

hello peter,

the following example works for me, also within a BSP:

<a href="file:///c:\winnt\notepad.exe">test</a>