cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand alone Data Services Designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I am new to Data Services , can any body throw some light on how I can use Data service designer alone with out Server what all I can do with designer itself.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

With only Data Services designer, you cannot do anything. in first place you will not be able to install designer alone.

Which version of DS are you going to install and use?

Basically you need a DB for creating repositories, BOE CMC (or IPS CMC) to create/configure users & repos (for DS 3.2 onwards), you need other components like Repository manager for creating DS local/central repos, Server manager for creating job servers. After doing all these only you will be able to log in to DS designer.

Hope this helps. Thanks, Arun J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, as of now I have installed BODS  designer 4.1 , actually while installing the Designer it asked for license key, generally client tools don't ask for license unless something can be done with stand alone tool.So I thought may be we can do some thing with flat files in , web services with out the using server.Correct me if my perspective is wrong.

Thanks

Santosh Varada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

For DS 4.1, system requirements and supported environments will be available in PAM (Product Availability Matrix) for DS4.1.

As I mentioned earlier, you either need BOE CMC or if you are going to use only DS (and not BO reporting) you need IPS CMC. You also need a DB for DS to manage its meta data - meta data repository will be created and maintained by DS. You need to install IPS first and then DS. When you do it, Repo Man, Server Man, DS Admin Console, DS Deginer, etc will get installed. And before loggin in to DS,

1. You need to create DBs for local and central repos in the database (say MS SQL Server 2008 ro oracle or whatever db you have).

2. Create local/central repos using Repo Man.

3. Create Job server and associate the local repos using Server Man.

4. Create users in CMC.

5. Register the local/central repos in CMC.

6. Associate users & repos in CMC.

7. Finally you will be able to log in to DS Designer.

Thanks, Arun J.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

All the above answers look correct and if you are knew to DS perhaps a fast overview of what the designer/components do:

1) Your designer can be installed on every Windows machine, but has to connect to:

a) the CMS=IPS=BOE  to AUTHENTICATE and get the repository information - The Repository is the database where the information about the job is stored - connection information and password (encrypted..) to the repository will be passed to the Designer and it will open a database connection. Nothing can be done before authentication, the designer won't open - then you connect to the repository to get the objects of the job - they are not stored locally with the designer.

b) The DataServices Job Server. This is the ONLY program that will execute the program you are designing. (in the designer you can see icon on the right bottom - a computer with a clock - and if you hover over it with the mouse you see the settings. When you rightclick a job and "execute" in the Designer you are just sending the Job Server a message to execute that job. The Designer does not execute anything.

2) The designer will just load a stored the workflow and you can then save it back to the repository.

Regards

Norbert

SherifEid
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I'm new in DS , and have confusion between the designer and the DS .

as per my understanding the designer is a client so we can install it at any machine , and this client will require DS server to connect to it.

So I tried to install the Designer 4.0 on local desktop, I  found the same screens which appeared while installing the DS itself.

really it is bit confuse.

so i need help from the expert guys to answer the following questions:

1- developers require designer to work with the DS , so shall i allow them to remote logon to the ds server and run the designer from there or what is the best practice for this?

2- if the designer can't be installed on developers desktop , why SAP is providing the software?

3- if it is possible to install the designer in developer's desktop , how we can bypass the error (No Valid Local SIA exist for the given CMS connection )

awaiting your valuable help

Thanks in advance,

Sherif

Former Member
0 Kudos

See my response in your post http://scn.sap.com/thread/3272532