cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

specified file 'dump devices' is out of sequence?

Former Member
0 Kudos

i was getting error message while processing load transaction in sybase ase server,below i mentioned commands and errors for above error

1> load transaction new_db

2> from "C:\Sybase\BK\newdb_trbk.dmp"

3> go

Backup Server session id is: 76. Use this value when executing the

'sp_volchanged' system stored procedure after fulfilling any volume change

request from the Backup Server.

Backup Server: 6.28.1.1: Dumpfile name 'new_db1326004A5A ' section number 1

mounted on disk file 'C:\Sybase\BK\newdb_trbk.dmp'

Msg 4305, Level 16, State 1:

Server 'Sybase', Line 1:

Specified file 'dump device' is out of sequence. Current time stamp is Sep 17

2013  5:17:14:923AM while dump was from Sep 17 2013  4:51:14:743AM.

kindly help me to find solution for above problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mark,

could you please tell me step by step dump transaction and load transaction process.

below i wrote my steps,

1)created database as db_1 with data/log in separate devices.

2)Taken dump transaction but get error as before taking dump transaction have to do dump database .so that i performed dump database process and done dump transaction using db_1 database.

dump transaction to "C:\Sybase\data\Sybase.db_1.20130918.141030.logdump"

Backup Server session id is: 17. Use this value when executing the 'sp_volchanged' system stored procedure after fulfilling any volume change request from the Backup Server. Backup Server: 6.28.1.1: Dumpfile name 'db_113261022FD   ' section number 1 mounted on disk file 'C:\Sybase\data\Sybase.db_1.20130918.141030.logdump'.Database db_1:8 kilobytes DUMPED.Dump phase number 3 completed.Database db_1:12 kilobytes DUMPED.DUMP is complete(database db_1).

3)updated one column in db_1 database table and performed,

load transaction db_1 from "C:\Sybase\data\Sybase.db_1.20130918.141030.logdump"

but again get an error as first i mentioned.anything i missed in this , and how to compare transaction log file ?

Message was edited by: SelvaKumar Kuppusamy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

GS
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi SelvaKumar,

There are one or more transaction log backups that need to be restored before the current transaction log backup.

Load the log backups in the same sequence in which they were made. Check your transaction log dumps to determine whether one was loaded out of order. If you find the correct dump, load it and continue with the rest of the dumps, in order.

Please note - If you are missing a transaction log dump, you can only restore up to the transaction log dump before the missing dump.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav sir,

To take log backup , some databases i am using separate log devices , in that log devices only particular database transactions will overwrite.so no need to take backup in sequence order is it correct sir?