cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMP3.0 SP09 and Load Balancer in Closed Network

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After an extensive search i could n't find any discussion with regards to SMP3.0 SP09 + Load Balancer in a closed network ( Devices are connected through APN SIM ) , Situation is like we have a SMP Server cluster and i need to implement load balancer to make use of that clustering. I really needs to know which would be the best and recommended option to go with and how ( any document would be a great help ) . And we are using Agentry based applications . I am totally confused with Reverse proxy , load balancer and relay servers. Since we are in a closed network i don't think we need any reverse proxy, correct me if i am wrong .

Please help me to find a better solution and i can share more information if its required .

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andreas_wegmann
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

1 - I would suggest to plan on the latest release of SMP 3.0 (which is actually SP11 + PL01).
2 - You mentioned three component:
- Reverse Proxy
- Relay Server
- Load Balancer

Reverse Proxy: This would be mostly the Apache RP as a security branch between the client and the SMP/backend.

Relay Server: This is also a kind of proxy which only allows outbound connection (Connection would be opened from inside - Outbound Enabler installed on SMP - to the Relay Server which should be normally installed in the DMZ).
The RS can also be clustered and used as a Load Balancer.

Load Balancer: This could be a software running on a dedicated server (Like Apache, F5, Citrix etc.) or a hardware LB.

3 - The Apache Reverse Proxy can also be extended to be used as a Load Balancer.
For the Apache LB scenario there is a very good docuemntation available for SMP at:
http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-57367

4 - Additionally you can find a couple of interesting docs especially for Agentry at:
http://scn.sap.com/community/mobile/blog/2015/07/09/troubleshooting-agentry--smp-30-clustering-issue.

It always depends how many users you want to load balance, what are the security policies/restrictions etc. so there is no "Top solution".

IMO the solution with the Apache RP + LB module could be an appropriate one for your needs but if you need more information or assistance I would suggest to get in touch with SAP consulting for a proposal.

KR
Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Andreas,

I will be more interested in this part you mentioned

"The RS can also be clustered and used as a Load Balancer."

How can i use Relay server as a Load Balancer ?

Thanks Again, Really appreciated

andreas_wegmann
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Mohammed,

please take a look at:DocCommentXchange

and

In that case you would install i.e. 2 or more RS, you would need to add all RS to every rs.config and you need to configure the rsoe to connect to all RS as described in the two links above.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Answers (0)