cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Datasource

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

i am having this doubt like i have to create a master data DS and Text DS for an object and the table is eg: COEP for text it will be COEPT but COEPT will have everything even the text

what if i create a datasource on COEPT and use it for both TEXT and Attribute like i will map only text fields while loading text and Map only attribute when loading the attribute

what are the pros and cons in this method.

thanks

sreedhar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

when u create datasource for text and attribute using the same table COEP

the field which are not required in text and attribute can be hiddden by

checking hidden only check box.

so when u replicate this datasource only the reequired field will be present.

regards

pls assing points if helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Actually my doubt is

Can we have same datasource for Attr and Text becoz the Text table will have both the values of Attr and Text right.

Ya teja your are right eventhough we mention it as master data the system is not restricting when i create a transformation on TExt so was a bit curious to know will their be any problem in future.

thanks a lot for your time.

thanks

sreedhar

Message was edited by:

Sreedhar M

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

when u create the datasource for attribute and text using same table

COEPT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sreedhar,

Check this doc:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/37dda990-0201-0010-198f-9fd...

Check these links on flexible update:

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

From your links i understood that

That by flexible updating we can update with one single datasource to two targets.

But my doubt is here can we have same datasource for Text and master data becoz the only difference between them is the text will have attribute value and the description of the attribute and the language

and the Attribute will only have the value. So can we load both of them using the same datasource instead of having two data sources like DS_attr and DS_text.

thanks

sreedhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sreedhar,

When you create a generic datasource,here you have to mention which type of data source(transactional/master data/texts)..so some thing is missing in your question..Depends on the data source you have mentioned,belongs to that type data will be stored into the tables(attribute/text/hierarchy tables in bw side).

May be possible in BI 7 with different transformations from the same data source to the same target..need to experiment,never tried this

Hope it helps

Thanks

Teja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sreedhar,

You can try that like loading both the attributes and the texts from the same datasource. There is a document on flexible update which talks about this.

As for the Pros and Cons:

Pros: You would have to maintain only a single datasource.

Cons: Lets say tomorrow the table contains for multiple languages then it makes a huge table then the extractor would take a lot of time.

Hope this helps.

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

you can create a datasource based on this table, and how many infosources or info objects you are expecting to load data from this data source..

Normally master data object is one only(for attributes/texts/hierarchies),so you will have only one infosource for this master data object..you can load as many as data sources to this infosource..

Your question is not clear..If you create a single data source how can you create different transfer rules from the same data source..which version are you working presently??may be possible in bi 7

Hope it helps,

Thanks

Teja