cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared use of BPS variables across planning areas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is it possible to use 1 var for 2 planning areas? I understand it is area-specific but would like to find out if this is possible so that I can minimize the number of variables to use.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Adette Rosenthal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Adette,

the how-to paper for variable exits is a starting point. However, there's a complete solution for global BPS variables available in another how-to.

<a href="http://service.sap.com/nw-howtoguides">SAP NetWeaver How-to Guides</a> > Business Intelligence > How to... Use Reporting Variables in BW-BPS.

Regards

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Adette,

I don't think so.. If you want to do so, implement a multi-area and develop there your Planning application.

Another way to "share" the value of the variable is to use userexits in the 2nd area that are filled with the content of the variable of the 1st. If you use the same name in both area there shouldn't be too much confusion

best regards

Yannick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adette,

Yannick is correct. Go look at the "How to...variable exits" guide and you will find SAP provide a way to easily pass the data between a variable in planning area 1 to a variable in planning area 2.

My advice would be to maintain and set variables wherever possible on one planning area, then let the settings made here feed all other variables created in other planning areas of your solution. It may not always be possible, but it will simplify variable maintenance if you follow this type of approach.

Regards,

Rael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adette,

With regard to the document that Rael is referring, I think the section that refers to the requirement below may be helpful to you.

<i>Global variables: From a logical point of view you have the same variables in several planning areas e.g. the actual year. Now you would like to define one ‘leading’ area containing the variable that should automatically set/adjust the corresponding variables in the other planning areas.</i>

Check the link below.

https://websmp205.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000413772003E/How_to_variables_exit.pdf

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Anurag