Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing access to workbooks after they are saved to a role

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have users that need to:

1) Save a Workbook to a role, as a static copy of the current data, where that data cannot be refreshed or overwritten.

(For example, monthend finance data that needs to be preserved as is.)

2) Once that Workbook is saved to the role, the workbook should be blocked from edit or deletion.

How do you set access so you can save a workbook to a role, yet not allow it to be refreshed, edited or deleted? When I remove the change value from S_USER_AGR, a workbook can no longer be saved to the role, and that defeats the first requirement.

Is it possible to get both requirements to work at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

where that data cannot be refreshed

that kind of means you have to "take away" the refresh button for those users, doesn't it?

you can save it as an Excel file and password protect it ('cause values can still be changed in Excel as well) or don't give "change" rights on the directory where the files are stored

if you have a Portal, you could probably have them publish it to a folder with such restrictions

gary_ganesan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce,

Could you try to save the report as a view then. After you save a report as a view, you cannot revert back to the original state.

To lock the refresh, you can set the checkbox in the Query Properties to NOT refresh on load.

Regards,

Gary.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you try to save the report as a view then. After you save a report as a view, you cannot revert back to the original state.

To lock the refresh, you can set the checkbox in the Query Properties to NOT refresh on load.

Hello Gary,

Thank you very much for the information. In reference to your statement about "locking the refresh", we are using BI 7.0, and when I go to the Query Properties box, I do not find a checkbox to stop the refresh.

The only thing I found in reference to locking a refresh is under the menu bar: BEx Analyzer --> Pause Automatic Refresh".

Would you kindly clarify where to find the checkbox?

Thank you!

Joyce

gary_ganesan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce,

My mistake. The checkbox option was in 3.x. In 7.x, you may just use the view. The Pause Refresh button will be activated automatically when the view is reloaded again. So it cannot be an option.

Regards,

Gary.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce,

My mistake. The checkbox option was in 3.x. In 7.x, you may just use the view. The Pause Refresh button will be activated automatically when the view is reloaded again. So it cannot be an option.

Regards,

Gary.

Hello Gary,

Can you confirm my understanding below?

1) A "view" will stop the data from being refreshed whenever it is reloaded

2) The same access required to save the "view" to a workbook also allows them to replace or delete the "view", even if the refresh process has been prohibited by the fact that it is a "view".

So it looks like I am still stuck ... a view prohibits refreshing of data, but the authorizations that allow someone to save the view to the workbook also allows them to replace or delete the view from the workbook.

Thanks!

Joyce

Edited by: Joyce Courtney on Aug 26, 2009 4:34 PM