Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrolling in table

joerg_arndt
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

In webdynpro I have UI Table.

When I scroll in this table, alv or else, it takes allways about 1 or 2 seconds until the

next row is displayd.

Is this normal behaviour or can I speed it up.

I mean, there is no smooth scrolling through the data, I allways have to wait, even with only 5 or 6 rows..

Thanks for your help.

Rg. Jimbob.

View Entire Topic
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Web Dynpro uses only server side scrolling for tables, so there is always going to be a little delay when scrolling. This can be magnified by heavy logic in the WDDOMODIFYVIEW or if there is serious network latency. The problem is reduced by Lightspeed and Delta rendering, but I assume by your statements you are still on NetWeaver 7.0 and don't have these technologies.

Does this happen in all applications or just one? If all, then the network or some conditions beyond your control might be the source of the problem. The only solution then might be to look to 7.01 or 7.02 for improvement. If it is worse in one particluar application, then look at WDDOMODIFYVIEW as that is the most common culprit. You can also perform a runtime trace to see if you are experiencing a runtime delay on the server for any other reason.

joerg_arndt
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas,

I think the best way is to upgrade.

Rg. Jimbob

0 Kudos

Is there any chance that in future Web Dynpro is going to support client-side vertical scrolling in tables? Users working with Microsoft Office (literally everybody) might expect that behaviour. Our customers would be happier, I guess.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Our customers would be happier, I guess.

Would they? There is afterall a cost for client side scrolling. That data has to be sent from the server to the client at some point. This increases the network load time and the browser memory footprint depending upon the size of the dataset. This can have a very negative impact on initial page load. Even in our HTML5 Phoenix libraries we are experimenting with caching more data than what is visible on the client side, but there are limits to this as well. Heck, even the SAPGUI ALV Control doesn't send all the data to the client side and needs server round trips eventually to get table data.