Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling Webi Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Folks,

Greetings

Please help me in giving answers rather solutions for the below question which I came across in couple of interviews :

1. I had an excel saved in my local desktop and I need to build a report on that excel sheet and that report should be scheduled to the specific users. How can this be done? Is it possible to do it without creating an universe?

2. Say for example, If you have users in Germany, Spain, China and English; how can I built/schedule my report in such a way that the user should open the  report in his language, I mean User from Germany has see the report in German Language, Spanish user should see the report in spanish and so on ...

3. Say for example we have a report and that report should be scheduled in such a way that only that user has to see his own details not the details of others ... something like pay-slip which we will be getting to our respective mail Ids ...

Many Thanks,

Pavan.K

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pavan,

Here is you feedback

1.  You would need to place the Excel sheet on a Network share that you and the server will have access to.  Then you can build a WebI using the \\SERVER\SHARE and export it to the server.  As long the file name and format stays the same WebI schedule will work fine.

2. The only way to get proper translation is to create a Universe and then use Translation services to built into BI 4.0 to convert the many languages required.

3.  This can achieved by using Profiles and Publications. You can create ONE WebI report and then using Profile to set what each user / group should see. Then use Publications to schedule the report to run as needed.

Regards,

Ajay

MariannevL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To add on to your excellent reply Ajay...

If you schedule using profiles in WebI, you need to run the report with the profile of the recipient if your mailed end result is a webI report.

If your mailed end result is an excel of pdf, than a one time refresh will do.

The reason for this is that with a one time refresh the profile gets implemented as a filter, so the actual data would still be in the webI report, even if you do not see it formatted...

Hope this helps,

Marianne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tons of thanks for quick response Ajay ..

@  Loenen thanks for adding your valuable inputs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :

2. I need to use translation management tool for translation and then schedule the report right..

3. The process what you mentioned is "Report Bursting" right; and please help in letting me know about the difference between Publication and scheduling.

Many Thanks

Pavan.K

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Paveen,

Correct.  Deploy a UNX and use Translation Services.  Keep that Translation services will only translates the Objects name and Desc you can't translate the actual data unless you have another Column in the database that shows the different language.

Publication allows you use the Report Bursting feature of ONE fetch to the DB and Burst to many but you need to incorporate Profiles for it work properly.  You send to InBox, Email, Enteprise, FTP, Network Share and Steamworks.  Supports stand report format such as PDF, HTML, WebI, XLS, ..

Another advantage you create a ZIP package of all the reports as well.

Schedule allows to schedule you report for off peak period and send to InBox, Email, Enterprise, FTP, Network Share and  Steamworks.  Depending on the type of report to save in PDF, HTML, WebI, XLS, ....

If this information helped please mark it accordingly.

Regards,

Ajay