cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPUI5 Demokit not working in IE8

0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am trying to showcase SAPUI5 Demokit (SAPUI5 SDK - Demo Kit) to my colleagues and experience it in IE8, all the controls demo are showing up fine however all the demo apps throw error - Object doesn't support this property or method in index.html file. I have to target IE8 for any web developments. I read in SAP docs that IE8 just shows visual degradation but nowhere it is written that application will stop working. Please advise if I need to stop pursuing SAPUI5 if it really doesn't work in IE8? I need to stick to IE8 at my office and it is not going away soon.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rpanneel
Participant
0 Kudos

Abhishek,

Why would you want to show and use IE8?

Check the supported versions... IE9 and upward..

SAPUI5 SDK - Demo Kit

Regards,

Robin

0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

As I said earlier I am stuck with IE8 and it is not going away soon at my office. I need to showcase in IE8 to prove that SAPUI5 is compatible in IE8 environment. I saw the link you mentioned, it says IE9 and onwards, however       Documentation/AdvancedTopics/GracefulDegradation – SAPUI5 Wiki (TIP CORE User Interface) gives me an impression that IE8 is supported. Also, there are mixed opinions formed when I went through other SCN forums. The documentation seems contradicting, I am unable to take a decision here. The other thing I noticed was Demokit shows up all the controls but Demo apps are not working in IE8.

Margot
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

The documentation you are referring to is quite old (1.16.3) - is this the version you are building your SAPUI5 apps?

Some libs like sap.ui.commons or sap.ui.ux3 had been released for IE 8 but i.e. sap.m lib never supported this browser version. That's also the reason why the control demos are working and the demo apps not.

So you need to be very careful in choosing controls for your app so it might work with IE 8.0.

But when you check the lasted demokit version as mentioned in Robins reply and also the related PAM I would assume that IE 8 is not supported any longer.

0 Kudos

Thanks Margot, that was helpful when you pointed out the version. We have 1.18.1 version. Is there any other way to get it supported on IE8 something like recommended polyfills or fallbacks?

Margot
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek, Not that I am aware of ...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

I have an update on this. I was able to get it working on IE8 without using any polyfills or fallbacks. I am using only the basic UI5 controls with some custom CSS. I solved the error by putting my javascript after body tag in HTML file.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, it was a good discussion!

ChandrashekharMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

it is good that you are concluding your discussion. if you got the answer for your question then you may want to close this thread. please refer How to close a discussion and why

Regards,

Chandra (Moderator)

0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek Modi,

SAPUI5 application is working fine in Chrome only. other browsers does'not support some control like date time pickers,and css and touch. so you can practice and development based on chrome .

Regards

Sathish Mani

0 Kudos

Thank you Margot and Robin for your answers, I have marked them as helpful. However, upon searching I see that there are a lot of javascripts and code snippets - enough to provide some tolerable level of HTML5 functionality in IE8, hence I strongly believe that there should be a way to combine these snippets into SAPUI5 to make it fully compatible with at least IE8 and to some extent below that as well.

I will leave this question as unanswered until someone can have specific suggestions or I can come up something by myself.

AndreasKunz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abishek,

IE8 was supported by really old version of UI5, so the older control libraries did support it, while newer ones (like the sap.m controls) never did.

I know it is hard to update browsers in enterprise environments, but even Microsoft is stopping support for IE8 soon, so companies have to switch anyway.

Thanks for the hint about the documentation, there is a pice that can now be removed. The official browser support documentation which has been mentioned by others above is pretty clear about IE8 not being supported, though.

> that there should be a way to combine these snippets into SAPUI5 to make it fully compatible with at least IE8

Sure, one can add more code to make UI5 compatible with IE8. We don't consider this investment in a soon-dying browser worth the effort, plus messing up an "HTML5" toolkit (or at least the newer HTML5-only controls) to make it run in non-HTML5 browsers is not a strategy that seems future-directed.

However, if you disagree and think the investment would be not too large (just "combine some snippets") and it would be worth the effort, then you are invited to do the required adaptation: OpenUI5 is Open Source, so you can just fork it on GitHub. However, consider that this means additional regular testing and those polyfills often come with a performance impact.

That said, the older (non sap.m) controls might still support IE8 - after all you found them working! Only demo apps broke and they use the sap.m library. But there is no guarantee at all from our side that they work 100% fine and will continue to do so.

If IE8 is a hard requirement for you, then you have to find another library. But note that e.g. Sencha Touch supports IE11+ and jQuery 2.0 supports IE9+, so choices may get more and more limited, especially when you want a powerful toolkit that supports touch devices well.

Regards and sorry for having no better answer

Andreas

0 Kudos

Thank you Andreas for your detailed answer. I have read many of your blogs and posts and you have been very helpful. Thanks for your wonderful contribution.