cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPScript barcode printing not using character format

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Recently our barcode printer is not working anymore so we decides to replace the printer.

However, there is some issue with the form used to print the barcode.

This sapscript form already been created long time ago while I'm not in the organization yet.

When I check the form, I found out that instead of using normal character format to print barcode, i.e. <BC>&Number&</BC>, the sapscript was created using another approach that I don't understand.

One of the line is like below :

1a4202300210020&ANLAV-ANLN1&&ANLA-ANLN2&&ANLA-BUKRS&

The line is using standard paragraph format and as you can see, it is not using character format to print barcode. However, in the old barcode printer, it will print barcode perfectly while in the new printer it will be printed like this:

1a420230021002030000000031200000300

It seems like 1a4202300210020 is some kind of code that convert the next number into a barcode in specific printer.

Can anyone please enlighten me on what kind of approach it is and how to resolve my barcode printing issue after we replace the old printer. Thank you.

~Abraham

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You're right, this code is the "printer language". Refer to the printer documentation to get explanations.

What printer model was it?

What is your new printer model, and did you make sure you had a BarSimm, JetCaps, JetMobile, etc. or other stuff valid for SAPscript?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The old printer is DATAMAX and the new printer model is SATO.

I'm not really sure what do you meant with BarSimm, JetCaps, JetMobile, etc.

Are these firmware embedded in the printer? In that case, I will need to check with the SATO vendor first.

If my current sapscript is really using specific printer language, I suppose sapscript form that we used currently need to be modified, isn't it?

Thanks.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The old printer is DATAMAX and the new printer model is SATO.

These are the vendors, but not the printer models. Each printer model may have its own printer emulation(s) (DPL, PCL, PostScript, etc.), so it is important to know. Well, I can answer without this info.

1) DATAMAX has created its own language named [Datamax Programming Language|http://www.datamaxcorp.com/_assets/library/pdf/88231601_h.pdf]. It seems to correspond to your code.

2) SATO has also created its own SBPL language (make sure your printer is using this emulation), you'll find here a documentation for Smart Forms, but you will be able to use it for SAPscripts: http://www.satoworldwide.com/sap_solution_files/downloads/UM_SAPSmartForms_Driver.pdf

> I'm not really sure what do you meant with BarSimm, JetCaps, JetMobile, etc.

For barcodes within SAPscripts, SAP do not propose a universal solution. Instead, they support a few printers with the addition of a card (see notes 45643, 119471, 121305).

> Are these firmware embedded in the printer? In that case, I will need to check with the SATO vendor first.

SBPL is able to print barcode natively, no need for a card.

> If my current sapscript is really using specific printer language, I suppose sapscript form that we used currently need to be modified, isn't it?

You're right. You should convert it to either smart form (using the "new barcode technology") or Adobe form, so it may be a big effort.

You're right but as I said above, SAP doesn't provide a universal support for barcodes. SAP created a better support for smart forms (called "new barcode technology": barcodes are created as graphics), but unfortunately it won't work for SBPL as there is no SBPL driver in SAP (that would convert barcode graphics into SBPL language) so... you'd better use SBPL I think

Edited by: Sandra Rossi on Jan 5, 2010 11:45 PM : ANSWER TO 4TH QUESTION CHANGED

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm still a bit confuse about SBPL that you mentioned.

In the user manual, it is mentioned about using New Barcode technologies in SATO.

Is that mean SATO actually already support this new technology and if I decide to replace my sapscript with smartforms, I would be able to use universal support for barcodes?

Here is the link that they gave indicate their support for smartforms universal barcode printing.

http://www.satoworldwide.com/sapERP.html#smartforms

Given the options, is it better to replace the sapscript with smartforms that required significant initial effort or modify the current sapscript using their SBPL language? Thank you.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> In the user manual, it is mentioned about using New Barcode technologies in SATO.

> Is that mean SATO actually already support this new technology and if I decide to replace my sapscript with smartforms, I would be able to use universal support for barcodes?

Thank you for the info, I didn't know that PVP came also with the possibiilty for Vendors to create their own driver.

So you're right, if you have the latest support package (check requirement in note 1097563), you'll be able to use new smart form barcode technology (and graphics).

> Given the options, is it better to replace the sapscript with smartforms that required significant initial effort or modify the current sapscript using their SBPL language?

I can't say, you have to estimate the workload. Probably 1 man day to change one barcode command from DPL to SBPL language, and you only have to test this change. And something like 15 man days (it may be less, or much more) to rewrite SAPscript into Smart Form, and you have to test everything...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I have to try to understand the SBPL language for now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

I have to print Smart Form label in a thermal printer Datamax.

Is it possible? And how?

How jav I to define the printer in SAP?

I've tried to print, the spool semms to arrive to the printer, but the printer print nothing.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Answers (0)