cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA consumes all space and make system slow.

pnagar
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have sap hana details as below.

i started the database just 30 minute ago and then i took this scree-shot.

and its os free-g is as below. and os is suse.

But after 10 to 12 hours of the restart free space would be only 1 GB. this is what i realized and mh hana system will start behaving slowly and my s4 application users will face slowness issue.. So what could i do to solve this problem. I have googled a lot but still not geeting any clue. How can i keep my os memory free atleast 10 gb.

I am using hana 1.0 sp11 will be upgrading it soon as well.

Please suggest.

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As your question is not related to Basis Technology|SAP NetWeaver|SAP NetWeaver Application Server|SAP NetWeaver Application Server for ABAP suggest to remove those tags.

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You asked a question. Don't forget to mark the answer that helped you most as correct. Thanks!

For the readers, before you leave, don't forget to up/down vote the answers. You can vote on the question too.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Prashant,

I detect two different objectives that are not necessarily related:

• end-user performance
  • keeping os memory free atleast 10 gb.

What is most important?

As a Google search typically returns the haystack (with some adds) and not the needle, you might find more interesting information about SAP HANA memory usage in the SAP Support knowledge base (KBA articles) and documentation.

This will help you understand how SAP HANA manages memory.

Should you face a performance issue, best to investigate what may cause this (there is a guide on that too). OS memory statistics are just a measures.

dasistdochscheisse
Active Participant

Hi Denys,

thanks a lot for the links, they explain memory management very well.

I'd like to add one thing: if you run your HANA in a virtual environment, it's a must that you guarantee the memory and cpu to the virtual system. We did not know that (i think there is even a note for that) and wondered why our index server process got killed every other day 😉

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks Ulf,

Make sense. 😉

Quickly checked but did not find any specific note explicitly mentioning this requirement. However, there are a lot of notes (one for each supported technology) with additional information. It looks like this one list them all (software and hardware-based virtualization)

dasistdochscheisse
Active Participant

Checked the old incident i opend and found the note 2393917 which says indirectly that RAM and CPU must be guaranteed (at least in our environment):

"Rules for virtualized SAP HANA on VMware vSphere 6.5 and 6.7

• CPU and Memory over-commitment must not be used."
dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks for looking this up, Ulf.

Answers (0)