cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI for Mac OS X 10.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to upgrade my Macs to Apples current operating system Mac OS X 10.4.1 Tiger. I had read few weeks ago, the JAVA-Implementation doesn't work with any SAP GUI for Java. SAP has recommended, to still work with Mac OS X 10.3.9 and SAP GUI for Java 6.30 Revision 8.

When will be available a working SAP GUI for Mac OS X 10.4.1 Tiger ? Has someone informations ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Considering that we have been waiting for months now, I'd actually rather have a "developer" version of the 6.40GUI instead of having to wait another couple of months until somebody eventually does something at either APPLE or SAP. I don't know why this is taking so long. The JAVA stack can't be that far off the mark, can it? Everything else seems to be working rather fine on it. It is not just done by saying that we shouldn't upgrade to 10.4. It's not that the world is standing still just because of a missing SAP GUI. I had to upgarde to 10.4 to keep up with my customers and a missing SAP GUI is hurting me to the point that I have to use a windows laptop :-((((((((((

Give us a preview version, please!!!

jrg_hirschi
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have asked my contact at Apple on a regular basis, when we can expect the needed Java update, as the missing SAP Client is the last application that prevents us from upgrading all our machines to 10.4. I have upgraded mine and have an old laptop running 10.3.9 on my desk just for SAP.

Strange situation, considering that Apple themselves is using SAP and has upgraded worldwide to 10.4 a few days after the release of 10.4 as confirmed by my contact at Apple.

I got replys to my questions about this from SAP, from Apple but nothing that really makes me feel any better....

any news on this subject ???

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I completely understand the impact of the missing Mac support. I try to explain the reason for the current situation and give an outlook.

Starting in summer 2004, the SAPGUI development team and test labs have dedicated a significant amount of time in testing on Mac OS X 10.4 preview versions, reporting bugs and pushing Apple to fix them. We opened more than 20 bug reports, which were not exclusively related to SAP GUI, just plain JFC/Swing issues. Unfortunately two show-stoppers for SAP GUI were left at the time Apple shipped Mac OS X 10.4.

Since April this year we are running more tests on developer preview versions of the Java 1.4.2 Release 2, which is supposed to address these issues.

With developer preview 3, there are no severe open issues left and we are just waiting for Apple to ship the final version of JRE 1.4.2 Release 2.

Apple has not disclosed any shipment schedules in the past and so we have not been able to plan for something. If we would have known in advance, that the final version will be that long after developer preview 3, we would have started a beta seed based on a TEA (test and evaluation agreement) at the time developer preview 3 was available (beginning of August).

Last week Apple has indicated that the final version of Java 1.4.2 Release 2 is expected to become available every day now. I hope Apple is right and this thread will be obsolete soon. SAP GUI for Java 6.40 rev 4 including the Mac OS X version is already waiting on the loading ramp.

If there is no final version of Java 1.4.2 Release 2 by end of September we will provide an unsupported SAPGUI based on a test and evaluation agreement.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

that sounds very good ! I hope, Apple won't forget their SAP-Users...

thank you very much indeed !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 Release 2 are available via Software Update today!

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

We are testing ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rolf-Martin,

can you give us any information when testing will be finished?

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

unfortunately the problem caused by the Java Security Update Apple released for 10.3

(see )

took up our full attention and forced us to suspend testing on 10.4 for some time.

I assume that testing will be completed until end of next week at the latest.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

thanks for your patience.

After completing the tests without any bad surprises the Mac version now is available.

See

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf-Martin,

I've just installed 640r4 and have noticed that when calling up the transaction PTMW, the calendar does not appear. Calling transaction PP61 will dump with a message type 'X'.

Furthermore, I was wondering of you could be of assistance to me on the topic of configuring the different connections?

I'm an employee from SAP-GmbH in Stäfa CH.

I use my Notebook / PowerBook at the different customer's sites. I've just switched to the PowerBook.

1. Do I need to configure all of the different connections using the expert settings?

2. Would you suggest creating a Message Server List? If so, could you set up an example for me?

Thank you for your support,

Ted Sager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ted,

I'm not Rolf-Martin but hope I may help you.

> I use my Notebook / PowerBook at the different

> customer's sites. I've just switched to the

> PowerBook.

>

> 1. Do I need to configure all of the different

> connections using the expert settings?

Since you work on different customer's sites, I would recommend configuring connections using expert settings.

It's quite fast to add an entry and you can even edit an existing entry and use "save as" if there are only minor differences with the settings.

I would also suggest separating entries for different customers by an "empty" entry that contains a line of "-" or "*".

HTH

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rolf-Martin,

I wanted to let you know I continued my research on the 6.30rev8 issue. I found the 6.30rev10 version for MAC OS X 10.3.9. It seems to correct my issue. Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rolf-Martin,

Could you make the SAP GUI for Java 6.40 for Mac available as a preliminary, unsupported release for those of us who are already on Mac OS 10.4.2 and have the latest developer pre-release of Java 1.4.2 Release 2? At this point I'm using the 6.30 rev 4 release of the Java GUI in unsupported mode, so support is not an issue. Thanks for considering this.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to endorse your proposal ! We're going to test the current development until Apple release the public java-update. Nobody knows, when it will happen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Update from Apple is:

Version: Update 2

Post Date: 09/23/04

License: Update

So we're still all waiting.

Regards,

Ted Sager

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

http://service.sap.com/sapgui-java recently has been updated with the latest progress.

Good news is, Apple finally has fixed those bugs in JRE 1.4.2, which prevented us to make the Mac version of SAP GUI for Java 6.40 available. The bad news is, there is no information communicated by Apple, when the Java update will be available.

It is planned to provide SAP GUI for Java 6.40 to run on Mac OS X 10.4 when Apple has made that Java update available.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin Woersinger

SAP GUI for Java project lead

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rolf-Martin,

thx for your informations! I'm going to wait with the upgrade to the next release Mac OS X 10.4.2. I hope, Apple has done a good job like SAP.

regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I been following this forum and i wanted to know if with the new version of MAC OS X 10.4.2, SAP will release the ver. JAVA GUI 6.40 for mac.

Thank you

Message was edited by: Fernando Pecchio

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

the problems which currently prevent us from supporting Mac OS X 10.4 are not in the OS, but in the Java runtime.

Java 1.4.2 Release 2 is what we all are waiting for. We have a developer preview in testing, which is available at connect.apple.com for ADC members.

Unfortunately Apple is not sharing any information, when the final version of Java 1.4.2 Release 2 is planned to be available.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. I will wait for the Java 1.4.2 Release then.

Best Regards

Fernando Pecchio

Former Member
0 Kudos

What about Apple's Java VM 1.5.0_02-36?

I have SAPGui 6.40alpha3 running under 10.4.2 with that Java VM. The most annoying problem is with cursor movement in table controls (simply doesn't work) but I don't experience any other issues.

Regards

Matthias

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Matthias,

unfortunately the current 1.5 VM from Apple is even worse in some parts then the 1.4.2. Also SAP GUI for Java 6.40 has not been released for 1.5, also on other platforms. This is on our list for 7.00.

In case you have the chance to run SAP GUI for Java on another OS, I would like to ask you to verify your table navigation problem with SAP GUI for Java 6.40 rev 2 and file a bug report in case the navigation still does not work.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tested SAP Gui for Java 6.40 rev2 on Windows. No problems with cursor movements (tab) in table controls.

Best regards

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Apple's web site shows Java 1.4.2 Update 2 available for download:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/javaupdate142.html

More info at //www.apple.com/java

Where can I download the SAP SUI for Mac?

RMW
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Richard,

did you see the posting date of this Java update? It was in September last year and was for 10.3, not 10.4 (which shipped in April this year).

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

P.S. For what stands the "S" in SAP SUI for Mac?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rolf-Martin,

Could you assist me with a SAP GUI issue I have encountered this past week? I have PowerPC G4 550 Mhz PowerBook running MAC OS X 10.3.9 with 1GB of SDRAM. I use the SAPGUI 6.20rev8 verison and have received ABAP dumps indicating I have an outdated SAPGUI. I see that there is a 6.30rev8 version, which I have do loaded. I have read the manual but cannot find a solution for my issue.

I have installed the package and note my 6.20rev8 connection were imported.

Example: conn=/M/172.19.1.57/S/3600/G/SPACE&clnt=100&user=DWesley&expert=true

I have not deleted the 6.20rev8 version since I am unable to get the 6.30rev8 version to work.

When I execute the logon, the system tries to connect, but shutsdown and shows an apple bug message "The application SAPGUI has unexpectedly quit"

When I look at the log I see:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Could you assist me in the setup of the 6.30rev8 version.