cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict on an attribute of an InfoObject

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the best way that I can restrict on an attribute of an infoobject in the query designer?

Thanks,

Nyrvole

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nyrvole,

you'll have to make the attribute as Navigational Attribute. Then you can use it just like any other characteristic in the query designer.

Hope it helps,

Fran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will I need to reload any data in the cube if I make this attribure navigational?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi nyrole,

You donot have to reload data in the infoprovider..

Just make sure that you reactivate the update rules after you make the attribute navigational..

Ashish..

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do I know if an attribute is navigational or not. I understand that if it is you can filter and drill down on it but will it look any different from a display attribute. If I go to RSD1 and look at the infoObject I see an "Attribute" Tab. If I select this tab I see two categories: "Detail/Navigation Attribute" and "Navigation Attribute InfoProvider". Each category had several attributes assigned to them but which one is navigational?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Under the Attribute tab, click on the Detail/Navigation Attribute button to see the details.

You should see the Navigational Attr ON/OFF button. When you press that, it makes it navigational. You can give the navigational attribute a description.

Then double click on your cube. Press the Nav. Attributes button and make sure the attribute you want to use as navigational is checked.

Activate the Cube and you should be able to use the attribute for selection/restriction.

hope it helps

Fran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Fran!!

One more thing..You say that now that it is navigational, I can "use the attribute for selection/restriction". I want to restrict based on this attribute in the query designer. That is, I don't want to do any filtering in the actual report. Can you tell me the best way to do this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nyrvole,

The navigational attribute will be available for selection under the same dimension as that of the characteristic. In other words, it'll act as a "characteristic" itself.

If you want to view it in the result of the report, you can put it in rows and restrict it with the desired values (right click - Restrict - Choose the values from left to right).

You can also put it in Free characterstics and restrict it the same way. This way you'll have the option of drill down if needed.

Hope it helps,

Fran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fran,

I see my attribute under my infoobject(0GL_ACCOUNT) but I can not drag it alone into the query. I must first drag over the infoobject and then drag over the attribute. Secondly, I can't "right click" directly on the attribute and select "restrict". I have to first "right click" on the infoobect and then restrict by the attribute. The problem is that I am restricting over 8K GL_ACCOUNTS and so when I try to drag them over the designer crashes. I would like to be able to restrict my query one the attribute but it seems that I am not able to do so. I have to restrict on the GL_ACCOUNT. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

PS if you could send me your email I could send you a screen shot of what I mean

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nyrvole,

Did you make sure that you checked the navigational attribute in the Cube? Are you sure you are running the query on that cube and not some other one (MultiProvide? perhaps).

If you followed all the steps that I outlined earlier, you should be able to see the navigational attribute as a "characteristic" under the dimension.

Hope it helps,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fran,

I think you have solved my problem. The report is running off of a MultiCube. I did not make the attribute navigational in all 7 cubes but just a few of them. I will go back now and make the attribute navigational in all of them and will get back to you.

thanks,

nyrvole

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry to say that this did not work. I am still not seeing it as a navigational attribute but in the attribute list under the char. Any other suggestions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you make it navigational in all the basic cubes of the MultiCube?

Also you have to make it navigational in MultiCube and then by clicking on the Identification button, you have to check the relevant cubes also.

Hope that helps, let me know if it still doesnt work.

thanks

Fran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok..I think I've got it this time. It was not turned on in the actual Multicube. I have just activated it and I will now test.

Thanks for all your help!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your help Fran!!! You are awesome!!!

It finally works and I am able to use the attribute just like a regular infoObject.

Nyrvole

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As said by Fran did u make the attribute as navigational attribute.

then u should find that particular navigation attribute in the same dimension not in the attribute list of the char.

Close the BEx completely and try reconnecting again.

Thanks

G.V.Ranganath

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done what Fran has suggested. I have check the on/off setting for the attribute to make it navigational in the cube and have re-activated it But it is still showing up as a display attribute. In the query designer it does not look like a regular char but it is showing up in the display list of the char. Is there something else I need to do to completely convert it to a nav. attribute?