cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirement Regarding Market segmentation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SCN,

I have a typical requirement where i need to enter the Product Code in Prompt,and the same Product distribution all over world should be highlighted over Map. Any idea or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramaya,

By Product Code do you mean "TV", "AC", "Computers" etc?

If so I would first of all suggest using a Radio Button or a Combo Box. If you do want to use an input text prompt then fair enough, you can still use that.

Basically, before using the map you need to set the destination of the Radio Button (or Combo Box, or whatever you decide to use) to an area which you should highlight with Yellow. For making your life a bit easier I would suggest having the data in a slightly different format (you will see why). Try having a column with all the regions rather then Products and have all the products on a row.

Now moving on this is how you should set up the combo box.

In the yellow area mentioned above (destination), on the first column you should have the names of the Regions. To make sure you put in the right regions go to the Busienss Objects folder to Xcelsius>Samples>User Guide Samples>Map Regions and copy paste the names from there.

On the second column you should have your values. Leave it empty as these values will be moved there by the Radio Button (or Combo Box or...). So this second column should be the destination of the selector you are using. It will also be the source of your Map Componenet.

Set the Regions Key of your Map component to the first column (i.e. the regions column) and for the Display Data select both columns.

If you want enable alerts - this way your regions will have a specific colour which reflects the number of sales.

I hope this helps and good luck with your dashboard.

Kind regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Matt,

I got the Output...but how can v select maximum for each product in alerter..????

lets say tv-- max is 540,AC-- max is 320 Max is not a constant...so in that case for each Product how to choose max is there any work around??

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Add an input text box for the prompt.

When the user inputs the product code, fill up an array with the data [country name , value]

Add a world map component, give it the data from this array, and use Alerts to highlight the map.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi alex thanks for the Reply, am new to Dashboards can u elaborate the idea,am attaching the image of data..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramya,

Did you managed to solve the issue using the guidelines I provided?

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I Thank your help,am almost there facing with some issue,as u suggested i used Radio Buttons to select the Product,i selected source data and and destination as u suggested and selected insertion type as column as whole coloumn need to be shifted to destination,unfortunately the shift is not happening i think,am not getting data on map.

I attach the two snap shots of it.. Green coloumn is my destination and C3 to G28 as my source. and Green coloumn as my source i.e A4 to B28 as in my snapshot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Can u tell me why the green coloumn i.e destination is getting the values which it is supposed to..??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I selected second coloumn as source to maps,as it gets filled by Radio button,my concern is is The same coloumn to be made as my display data??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramya,

Two things.

1. In the map, you want to set the display data as A4:B38, NOT B4:B38.  Xcelsius needs the region names from column A in order to know where to place the data.  Similarly, remove your input from the 'Region Keys' cells.  This input is only if you want to rename the regions, for example if 'Assam' is written as 'Asam' in your dataset.  For you, 'Region Keys' should be left blank.

2. If this is not the issue, add a Spreadsheet component to the map with values A4:B6.  This way you'll be able to see directly whether your radio buttons are working.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. The Radio Box should be set as follows:

Insertion Type: Column

Source Data: C3: G28

Destination: B3:B28 (green column starts from B4 so also include B3)

Tip: when developing dashboards use the Grid to see what data goes where. In this example, after making the changes, put the grid on top of B3:B28 and preview.

2. "I selected second coloumn as source to maps,as it gets filled by Radio button,my concern is is The same coloumn to be made as my display data??"

Don't really understand this question/ concern but what you did sounds right.

Tip 2: make sure the Regions are exacly in the order presented in the region key section.

3. In the Alert Section of the map there is an option to select "As percent of target". Extend the source and destination of the Radio Button to include B-G29 and bind this option (as percent of target) to B29. Then in C-G29 write the targets for each product category.

I hope you will find this post helpful.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alex,

Referring to point 1: Are you sure the data displayed will be geographically correct without the Region Keys? I had some issues with this in the past. If you are sure it means I must have been doing something else wrong.

The suggestion in my post was: "Set the Regions Key of your Map component to the first column (i.e. the regions column) and for the Display Data select both columns" and it seems that it was "implemented" fine: "[...] and Green coloumn as my source i.e A4 to B28 as in my snapshot"

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

1. Well there would only be issues in case of misspellings and the likes.    'Region Keys' takes on default values which are just the 'usual' spellings of the regions.  Xcelsius then matches those names to the names in the first column of your data.

Adding data to 'Region Keys' simply replaces one dictionary with another: now he'll use your regions and not the default ones to match the data with.  This is useful if the first column in your data spells the regions differently, such as USA instead of United States.  However, note that  I rarely use the map component myself (in large part because I find it extremely ugly), so maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

2. In his screenshot, the 'Display Data' for the map is set as B4:B28, not A4:B28 as you've suggested.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alex.. am new to dashboard..your inputs are truly valuable..

Rgds.