cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release strategy customizing - classification to test and production

KjetilKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have a question for those who have set up release strategies with classification, e.g. purchase order release. My problem is the transfer of classifications to test and production systems. There is an OSS Note (45951) which explains how ALE can be set up, I am aware of that.

However, I am simply wondering whether <u>you</u> have used the ALE solution for transporting the classification, or whether you chose the solution which I myself have used, which involves opening the test and production systems for changes and defining the classification for the release strategies in each system. I don't like this solution, but at the client where I did this previously there weren't really anyone to get assistance from with regards to ALE setup. Now I am in a much bigger project and opening the production system for changes is not really acceptable.

Your experience and opinion is appreciated. Some of you, lucky bastards, will be awarded points too

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kjetil,

as for my experience, you shouldn't maintain the release strategies in the prod. system, as this can be transported via <b>customizing</b> entry. I'm speaking here of the topics "release codes", "release strategies" and releated stuff.

The classification, which means, for which values exactly a release strategy is found, is usually <b>master data maintenance</b>, and therefore <i>cannot </i>be transported. You don't need to open the prod.system in order to maintain the classification there.

If you have a complex classification I would strongly recommend to distribute is via ALE if you want to synchronize between dev. and prod. system. The distribution of the classification via ALE works pretty fine.

Best wishes,

Florin

KjetilKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello, and thanks for your input. I assume this means you have set up distribution of classifications via ALE (or worked in a system where it was set up). Could you tell a little more about it?

I am wondering e.g. if it is possible to only distribute the classification information that is relevant for release strategies (by specifying e.g. classes to be distributed).

I am of course also wondering if it is a relatively straightforward task to set this up for someone who is familiar with ALE.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

yes, you'll only distribute by filtering class type 032 (classification for release strategies).

For ALE this is absolutely straight forward (scenario CNPMAS).

Basically it's done with transaction POIM and sending the classification data from here. You'll need some basic ALE messaging configured.

Best regards,

Florin

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have used LSMW to move the classes & classifications into UAT and Prod, works well.

KjetilKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks. I assume you mean transaction LSMW (Legacy System Migration Workbench)? Sounds like a hack, but if it works...

I will ask if we can set up ALE since this is what SAP recommends. If that's a no-go I'll have a look at LSMW.

KjetilKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe there is room for a couple of more inputs in this thread before it becomes just too long to handle. So, if anyone would like to share their experience I will happily listen to them.

former_member184495
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KK,

I have never done it, so request you to explore more.

For the interest of your query, I searched sites and found some answers, which could probably be of use.

2 notes one is which you had mentioned and other is 86900.

As even I am unaware and never done before, appreciate if you could share the same.

Thanks,

Aditya

KjetilKilhavn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I am aware of OSS Note 86900, which is the general OSS Note that explains how to transport a few other things (that are easier to transport) as well. Note 45951 is the one that specifically deals with the transport of things related to classification.