cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release date for new TREX features (esp. guided nav, thesauri/topic maps

Former Member
0 Kudos

In a SAP presentation on TREX, the outlook for future improvements listed the following items :

- combine QBT and EBT

- Thesauri and XML Topic Maps ***

- Taxonomy Import

- Guided Navigation ***

- Additional languages

- Additional Formats

I am especially interested in the items annotated with ***

Is there any information available when these feature will become available.

Will they be part of one of the next Netweaver 2004 stack levels or are these features planned only for the next Netweaver release (2005 or later)

In addition there has been the announcement of TREX Enterprise Search which should allow searching across both structured and unstructured data sources. Any news on that ?

Thanks in advance for your information

Message was edited by: Theo Paesen

Message was edited by: Theo Paesen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Karsten,

About the meta-search feature, do we still need to wait until 2006 or have the new releases of TREX filled that gap ?

0 Kudos

Hi Laurent,

still valid as stated above:

-

>> Enterprise Search...

...is not a TREX feature, technically speaking.

...is a meta search framework.

...will connect to any solution providing a search functionality.

...will connect to as well TREX-using is completely non-SAP solutions.

...will use e.g. KM, BI and MDM as some of its default sources.

...will ship in 2006.

-

And note the first point. As this is not technically a TREX feature, new TREX releases do not influence the availability.

Regards, Karsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your answer but I am not sure to fully understand it.

What are my possibilities to build a meta search engine on SAP KMC (with or without TRex) ? Can I use the virtual indexes, for example ?

Best regards,

Laurent

0 Kudos

Hi Laurent,

currently you can use the API to the KM index management service (IMS) to integrate search engines other than TREX.

See SDN article here:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/kmc/integrating 3rd party search engines into km index management.article

In the future...well, see thread above...there will be a meta search framework.

Regards, Karsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karsten,

One question concerning file formats supported by TREX. Are there any plans to support MS Access newer than 2.0 ?

Regards,

Maciek

0 Kudos

Sorry, Maciek,

no change here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/55/cb634114b78047e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

But would the undifferentiated indexing of entire *.mdb files make much sense for you anyway?

Regards, Karsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for your response. I feel that *.mdb files deserve rather a "repository manager" approach. But I was curious why other database formats are supported and this particular one is not. I guess the reason is complexity - and from this point of view I agree with you that it does not make sense to index it.

Regards

Maciek

0 Kudos

Hi Maciek,

>> I feel that *.mdb files deserve rather a "repository manager" approach.

Exactly that was what I was aiming at...

>> But I was curious why other database formats are supported and this particular one is not.

The file format filtering is delivered to SAP by the more or less industry standard provider for this technology. They respond to requirements from many software partners.

Regrads,

Karsten

0 Kudos

Hi Theo,

in general, the features you list are TREX features and have hopefully been presented as such. Features of TREX are not necessarily fetaures of KM. Many SAP solutions use TREX in quite a few different ways. Some for document search (such as KM, PLM DMS and more) some for accelerated table data scans (such as BI, CRM and more).

Thus, you do not find all TREX features being used at the same time in the same solutiuon. And, to anticipate that question, sorry, the direct TREX APIs are still not public.

<b>Point by point:</b>

<b>- combine QBT and EBT</b>

Available in TREX engine

Planned for KM (no date)

<b>- Thesauri and XML Topic Maps</b>

XTM available through TREX Python Extensions

No plan for KM

More info under:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/documents/a1-8-4/how to enable semantic search or search for synonyms in trex.pdf

<b>- Taxonomy Import</b>

Preliminary workaround available in KM

Full-featured with KM Transport in SPS15

<b>- Guided Navigation</b>

Available in TREX engine

(very simple example at http://help.sap.com "narrow by info class")

Different plans in different solutions, KM not before 2006

<b>- Additional languages</b>

Happening constantly, coming up:

Slovakian, Slovenian, Catalan, Croatian

(That is for TREX engine linguistics. Not necessarily all UIs translated.)

<b>- Additional Formats</b>

Happening constantly, coming up:

HWP2 Hangul 2002 (text only)

ICH new support for Ichitaro 13 and 2004

JBG2 new support for JBIG2 files embedded in PDF files

MIME Mime encoded mail messages

MPP new support for Project 2003 (text only)

PDF new support for JBIG2 files,

PP97 new support for PowerPoint 2004 and v.X for Mac

QP9 new support for Quattro Pro version 12

SHW3 new support for Presentations version 12

SO6 new support for paragraph- and character-level attributes

VCRD new support for vCalendar

VISO new support for Visio 2003

W97 new support for Word 2004 and v.X for Mac

WP6 new support for Word Perfect version 12

XL5 new support for Excel 2004 and v.X for Mac

<b>Enterprise Search...</b>

...is not a TREX feature, technically speaking.

...is a meta search framework.

...will connect to any solution providing a search functionality.

...will connect to as well TREX-using is completely non-SAP solutions.

...will use e.g. KM, BI and MDM as some of its default sources.

...will ship in 2006.

Hope that clarifies,

Karsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Karsten,

Thanks for your extensive response. This was very helpful.

Bit of a pitty though that we will have to wait until 2006 to see most of the new features announced.

We are currently investigating the possibility to use the KMC platform for searching both structured and non-structured information.

I guess we will have to wait until the release of Enterprise Search before this can be achieved without too much custom development.

What we are actually looking for is a way to use the KMC platform and TREX to not only search document stores but at the same time to merge these results with queries against structured information stores like databases and tables in R/3 through a single interface.

One of the requirements will also be the online management of such queries (creation, saving, sharing, scheduling). That kind of functionality exists for BIW including a nice integration within the SAP Enterprise Portal (BI Broadcasting, Web Analyzer, ... those tools). However the focus here is clearly on structured information. A similar functionality is currently not available within KMC and related end-user tools within the Portal that leverage the capabilities of TREX for searching unstructured information. Enterprise search is hopefully the solution that will be able to fill the gap between these two separate worlds.

The current Netweaver stack makes a clear distinction between the structured and unstructured information (with BIW on the one hand and KMC on the other). The challenge is to enable a unified search across both from a single user interface (preferably the portal).

Theo