cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh of Data in Xcelsius from Web Intelligence Results

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to the forum but not to Business Objects/Xcelsius. I attended the SAP Sapphire Event last May and spent time in the Business Objects lab. Two Product Managers demonstrated how I would be able to refresh the data in an Xcelsius dashboard using Live Office by retreiving results from a Webi document without refreshing the Webi query.

For example, my Webi document contains 100,000 result rows. I want to be able to select a dropdown in my dashboard and have Live Office retreive only a subset of the 100,000 rows. This being done without having the Webi query being refreshed from the database. The Webi query would be refreshed nightly.

The Product Managers advised that this functionality would be available in Service Pack 3 or before. As of now I cannot find out how to make this work. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chuck,

If you are interested in accessing cached Web Intelligence content without having the need to refresh against the database and also access many 1000's of rows of data then it would be worthwhile taking a look at Antivia's XWIS.

XWIS is SAP certified on XI and you can find information on the SAP EcoHub at http://ecohub.sdn.sap.com/irj/ecohub/solutions/webintelligenceintegration and also on Antivia's website www.antivia.com.

They also have a demo centre at http://www.antivia.com/demo-center.html.

Best regards

Mark

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have the same situation and I'm investigating on Webi BI Web Services. In Webi Rich Xi3.1 SP2 you're supposed to publish a block of the webi report and publish it as a web service then Xcelsius can access this web service and also filter a part of it. Doing this you're supposed to avoid to manage large dataset in Xcelsius.

What I'm not sure is how this web service is updated after webi is updated.

The only documentation about this is the Webi Rich User guide XI 3.1 SP2 manual in the Sharing Webi Content ...

Let me know if any of you try with it.

Best Regards

Erick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erick,

The tool you are referring to maintains a strong lifecycle relationship between web services (BI Services) and documents and reports they are created from. BI Services do not store or duplicate data from reports, they simply maintain reference information to retrieve data from corresponding document as stored on BOBJ CMS.

This systems enables to easily leverage scheduled documents, as well as standard WebI permissions management (i.e. consumption permissions are checked against credentials passed with BI Services).

Therefore, when document is refreshed or scheduled outside of BI Services (e.g. directly from WebI), BI Service will retrieve the latest data stored in document (according to the BI Service call input parameters, as BI Services can also refresh document on runtime).

Moreover, any document edit will impact related BI Services, esp. if user deletes report parts or change layout, BI Services (and their consumers) will be impacted, and even broken. We therefore recommend, as a best practise, to publishe BI Services from dedicated documents, so lifecycle can be easily managed along with BI Services. If you plan to use BI Services to re-use existing WebI content (and e.g. avoid to redesign the same query with QaaWS), we recommend that you make a copy of the document, specific for BI Service deployment & consumption.

Hope that helps,

David.

abanavalikar
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Chuck,

If I understand your problem correctly, here is what I can suggest.

- If you want to use dropdown to pass parameters to Webi report using LiveOffice, then you are going to hit the database since during this workflow the Webi report will take these parameters and bring result from database.

- If you want to use LiveOffice to use a Webi instance that was scheduled nightly, then you will have to bring in the complete dataset into your spreadsheet (embedded one in Xcelsius), and then you can use some specific data insertion types such as Filtered rows or rows in the dropdown to filter the data. In this case there is no interaction with database and you are using LiveOffice to retrieve a pre-run instance.

I dont think the Input selection can be leveraged with LiveOffice. LiveOffice can be used to fill in the prompts defined on the webi query and then you can refresh the results based on the parameters passed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update:

We've just upgraded our servers and client tools to BOBJ XI 3.2 FP5.

Disappointingly the option to use a WebIntelligence documents's Input Controls to only return a subset of the instance data to Live Office is missing.

Regards

Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Charles,

WebIntelligence Input Controls are a way to enhance and customize user experience with report filters, they are therefore based on report filters and the feature is more focused on user interface & experience rather than exposition outside web intelligence.

Anyway, AFAIK, report filters are not available from Live Office report parts, you can only filter content with prompts, which requires the document to be refresh from the database, which has a direct impact on performance and scalability for consumers.

However, if you are with WebIntelligence XI 3.1 SP2 you have the alternative to publish from WebI Rich Client, report elements (any table or chart) as web services (called BI Services).

This tool is based on Qaaws technology, and share some of its features (main being that is uses the same Xcelsius Data Manager connection), it exposes a large part of WebI interactions to external consumers (esp. Xcelsius) : report filters, drill, prompts.

Besides this tool provides a set of call input parameters to tune web service consumption for best performance and scalability, enabling to leverage WebI document management features like scehduling, publishing and refresh, so consumers can balance performance with real-time data.

More information is available from WebIntelligence Rich Client user documentation from section sharing webi content with other web applications.

I recommend you install the latest fix pack (SP2.5 and above), as some initial fixes were required to ensure full compatibility with Xcelsius.

Hope that helps,

David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chuck

I've done what you describe many times using Crystal Reports as the DataProvider for my Live Office links in Xcelsius. This takes advantage of Crystal's Parameters to select the subset of the instance I want returned.

I'm hoping that the Input Controls in BOXI 3.1 SP2 will act the same way as Crystal's Parameters, and can be utilised through Live Office. Anyone Know?

Thanks

Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chuck.

I don't have the detailed solution, but I think this can be done using an instance of the web-i:

When the web-i is run at night, an instance is created. Now, when you "refresh" in xcelsius, it's the instance that is being used. To do this, you have to make some settings for xcelsius to know that it has to use the instance - I think it's in the Live-office menu, under refresh options or it might be in objects properties...

regards

jacob