cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery of deleted file in KM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody!

I´ve got a question about the recovery of single files which were deleted in a KM repository or a collaboration room. How can one recover such a file? There must be some way.

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

brad_landry2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

For KM, use FSDB mode.

Then backup the FSDB folder each night at os level.

Often a user delete a file or need an older version, that's the way to recover them.

Brad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brad,

I have to implement the same scnario. I have a urgent requirement from my client to recovery of a deleted doc from the KM. Actually we are on SAP Netweaver 2004s EP 7.0 oracle 10.2.0.2.0. Please tell me how to implement the FSDB mode/any other way to get out of this.

Advace thanks for your time and help.

Regards

Sreedhar G

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

> How can one recover such a file? There must be some way.

Nevertheless, there is no such way. Except you have (a) some backup or (b) some kind of wastebasket implementation (developed by your own). The latter will be implemented within the standard in some upcoming release, but it will still take a while (promised since almost two years now). Should come in summer or so, and if I remember right, on NW2004s.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don´t believe this! At this point we do not have the situation to recover a file. But sooner or later this will happen. We do have a backup of course. But I do not know of an easy way to recover a single file from the backup. Is there any?

Christian

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I don´t believe this

Informatics isn't a matter of faith

Believe it or not, it's a fact.

Is there any?

In general: No. But keep in mind how different KM repositories can be. As far as CM (DB) repositories are concerned, the DB backup is the only way. For other repositories / repository kinds other rules may hold (for filesystem repositories, filesystem backups may do the work, even if metadata would be lost which is stored in some DB).

Hope it helps

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

There's always the possibility to turn on version-control, and to configure the (CM) repository manager not to throw away version histories upon delete.

Restoring the file will still be annoying (you need to locate the version history), but at least it's still there...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doesn´t sound like a practical approach. So we have to keep the faith in our users to do everything right.

Since our portalproject turned out to end in workarounds this issue is just one more point which keads me to the opinion that SharePoint would have been the better choice.....

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev,

> For other repositories / repository kinds other rules may hold (for filesystem repositories, filesystem backups may do the work, even if metadata would be lost which is stored in some DB).

That point is clear to me. I was just referring to internal KM repositories (DB).

Christian

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

As one who has migrated SharePoint into KM twice for different customers, I don't agree

At least, if the SAP Portal isn't solely used as a SharePoint alternative, it's just not really comparable. And in addition, it's very open to implement "add-ons".

Nevertheless, as said, a KM wastebasket will be implemented within the standard, soon.

Hope it helps

Detlev