cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read / map system name - Dev / QA / PRD into portal theme

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus, is there some means by which I could map the system name (Dev / Quality / PRD) into the portal theme or some location on the portal interface, so that users can know directly without looking at the URL, which system they are in. I could change the portal theme and add the words DEV, QA, PRD in the mashead and show it in the portal on the top, but that would cause inconsistency, because the theme will be different for (Dev, QA, PRD). I want the theme to read the system name directly from the back end. also I am not a big fan of writing code using NWDS, so if possible please let me know how to do it in config, without writing java code.

Thanks and appreciate it; generous points for useful answers.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not easy to do as a standard rule, but you could have a rule that is based on group memberships and have a Dev, QAS and Prod group into which you out all your users in each appropriate portal...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael. That sounds like a good idea, I can have a rule that assigns a specific group to specific desktop, and the last if statement would be "if user = * then read default desktop" (this will have the theme without any DEV / QA / STG entries). Now the only issue that comes to my mind is to add users in bulk to a group in the portal. It would be a lot of work to add individual users to a group. Also we have implemented centralized user administration, where users created in ABAP show up in the protal. Do you see any means by which all the users could be added to a group, and then I can go ahead and test this.

~Thanks

I think, I can do a * to list all the users and do a "select All".

Edited by: gattaca gattaca on Jan 13, 2009 12:04 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a specal group called Authenticated Users. You can add this to a group of your own.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I only see the below entries in the Portal desktop.

User

Role

Group

Bandwidth

URL Alias

Browse type

Browse version

Where do i find the special group called "Authenticated Users"? I don't see it under User Admin either.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I mean is you create a new group (Prod Users) and include the group Authenticated Users in this new group.

In the desktop rule, pick the group option and the group Prod users and give them the prod desktop.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I am able to see the group "authenticated users" under user admin, I guess that group is coming from the underlying ABAP system. I believe this group will contain all the users in that particular system (Dev / QA / PRD).

I'll try this and close this question if that works, in a few days.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, Authenticated Users isn't ABAP related. It is a special UME group that is setup automagically to include all users who can log on to the Java/portal system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael, I have got the new themes set up. What is the best way to transport them? We have CTS+ and the latest version of EP setup. The only way I could do it was to downdload and upload the theme, do you see a means by which this could be tied to the CTS+ and transported in ABAP, so that I dont have to manually do this in PRD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Download/upload is the most common method, as it tends to be a once off process. Because they are files, you could probably attach them to a transport with CTS+, but I haven't seen it done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case, I dont need to upload all the three themes into the same system. I can only upload the theme related to that system - - example: Dev. theme loads into Dev,; QA theme loads into Quality, and PRD theme loads into Production. I wouldnot need to load all three of them into each system, since I will not be using the remaining ones in the other systems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Although you don't need all the themes, it doesn't matter if you upload themes you don't use! They all have different names. I assumed you were designing all the themes on the dev portal and then moving them all to QA and then production. If you want to move just the QA one to QA and the production one to production, then you can only use download/upload. CTS+ will move all - it doesn't know to send some things to QA and others to prod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to find out how to move portal themes using CTS, our BASIS team insists that all portal transports should move through CTS; thats a good way of maintaining consistency and easier to move them to Staging and Production, without any manual intervention.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not all portal objects can be transported with no manual intervention. Yes, PCD obejcts can be moved, but some things can't. This includes themes.They can be exported and the resulting zip file attached to a CTS transport, but it needs to be manually imported at the target side.

As I said, themes are not an item that need to be transported on a regular basis. They tend to be setup once and moved once.

If your basis team insist on using CTS to move themes, then I suggest you make it their problem to work out how to do it!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member189631
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gattaca,

Please use this following code to fetch URL,

String strURL = request.getRequestURL.toString();

Using this you can in you portal component to diplay the text message.

Ram