cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Data services designer" launch slowly .

Former Member
0 Kudos

I imported many programs ( about 300 jobs and workflows ) into BODS 4.1sp2.

Then I found the data services designe spent a lot of time (more than 5 mins) to launch .

I don't mean that designer spent lots of time to run , just launch .

How can I optimize this  ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I am totally agree with "Dirk" issue is not related to application.

Issue is the CPU memory Usage.

Can you please moniter the usage of Database, BOE/IPS & Web Application.

Tomcat Applictaion
Central Management Server Details
Enterprise Information Management Processing Server Details
Adaptive Processing Server Details
Adaptive Job Server Details

Also moniter regarding BODS services

AL_AccessServerAccess Server Details
al_jobserver

Job Server Details

Create a excel sheet and track the memory consumption of all above services then only you know what is the issue.

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now I give you 5 snapshots of "Task Manager" while refrehing object library . ( I think "refresh object library" is similiar with startup of designer .

Today I imported part of my programs , it took 100 seconds totally .

One image was took before "refresh object library" ,  3 images were took while refreshing object library , and one image was took after "refresh object library".

In these images , I list all of processes that ocupied memory than 7MB.

Before refresh object library :

Refreshing object library 1:

Refreshing object library 2:

Refreshing object library 3:

After refresh object library :

DayaJha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

As you mentioned in earlier thread that you have deployed “I have installed BOE, BODS, Sql Server on one machine"

Then if you check the process regarding "Java", "Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services" ,"SQL Server Integration Services Service" consuming more, So obviously if you deployed all Application in One Server then again it will totally depend on your hardware configuration 

If there is no use of "Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services" ,"SQL Server Integration Services Service" then please stop this services.

Please check your current hardware configuration

For tuning of JAVA Services for Web Application (Tomcat) please refer below SNotes

Links

1452165 How to increase the maximum memory pool for Apache Tomcat used by Management Console

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1452165

1452186 - What is the maximum memory pool limit for Apache Tomcat used by Management Console? - Data Services / Data Integrator

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1452186

If there is use of “Input and Output” FRS then please enabled it otherwise please disable that service also.

Thanks,

Daya

Former Member
0 Kudos

I closed those useless processes : "Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services" ,"SQL Server Integration Services Service" ,  and modify the maximum memory of tomcate from 2G(default) to 3G .

But there's no change on the time of startup of bods.

I installed my db, bip ,bods on a virtual machine, with 14G memory and 4vCPUs .

Now all processes use 45% of all memory .

In my bods , there are 500 dataflows, 800 workflows , 1800 tables and 70 functions .

This bods spend 100 minus to start up .

Do you have bods with so many programs , and start up fast  ?

I will try to install db on one VM, bip and bods on another VM. I hope it will works .

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't bother changing your configuration that way, that won't help. Just as disabling not-used processes (because they are not used, they are swapped out and not consuming any resources but disk space) or changing Tomcat memory allocations (after connection to the CMS, Tomcat is not active anymore) won't make any difference.

As of your screen shots, during start up, DS Designer is a cpu-bound process, single-threaded running at 100% on one of your 4 processors. It seems that the speed of your virtual CPU is not up to standards. Could you check your VM settings?

FYI, I run DS 4.1 on a VM with 4 CPUs and 16G memory. Opening a repository with 40 projects, 100+ jobs, 200 workflows, 800 dataflows, <1000 tables and 50 functions takes less than 20 seconds.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you tell me your server configration and CPU usage of "AL_designer.exe" while starting up ?

I want to make sure if your cpu usage of "AL_designer.exe" is greater than 100/(cpu count)  .

I have asked my server administrator. They said they don't limit the CPU resource.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AL_Designer.exe CPU utilisation cannot possibly go above 100/(cpu count), because it's a single thread. At startup on our server, CPU utilisation peaks at 25% indeed a couple of times, but stays  far below that limit during most of the 20 secs it takes to start.

The behaviour on your system is hard to explain, unless the VM configuration can be blamed. Therefore it would be interesting if you could install the DS client tools on your local machine or on a physical server in your network and compare the behaviour.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help for long time.

Now I found this problem have been resolved on bods 4.1sp3 and bods 4.2sp1.

On 4.1sp3, designer just spent 30 seconds to start up , even whe I imported all of my programs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason/All,

We do have the same issue what you were facing. In our case, which service pack should we need to install when we have 4.2 with sp1 to resolve the slowness of BODS designer. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Abdulrasheed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone please update on this.

Thanks in advance.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you launch Designer, it starts reading out the local repository tables in order to display all your objects in the Local Object Library pane of your Designer interface. The more objects you have, the longer it will take. Startup time may also be negatively impacted by network latency. There are 2 things you can try:

1. Drop the objects you don't need
  2. Run the DS and database servers on the same machine or at least have them in the same network segment and run Designer from a remotre desktop session directly on the server platform.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,Dirk:

1, I can't delete any objects now.

2, I have installed BOE, BODS, Sql Server on one machine.

When the designer were starting,  the CPU's usage was  40%  and the memory's usage was 60%.

And under XS3.2,  the designer start up fast .

Do you know if there are some changes on startup strategies.

Thanks for your help . 

md_fasi
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

I suggest, Better you keep database on another machine, In future course of time. There will be huge impact on system and problems if it is on the same system.

I Recommend to take a assistance of Network guys in fixing the Virtual memory size and increase the RAMand try

Regards,

FASI

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In contradiction to what one may be saying, there's no harm at all in having IPS, DS and db on the same server. In fact, that's the setup I have been recommending to all my customers for the last 10 years or so. You simply have no network latency in such a configuration.

To my knowledge, startup strategy of Designer as you call it, has not changed at all. Hardware requirements for DS 4.x are slightly higher than for DS XI 3.2 though. But at first sight, CPU and memory usage figures do not seem to indicate any problems there . Are you running on a physical server or on VM? Closer system resource monitoring during designer startup might help in identifying the root cause of your problem.