cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quiet time needed for initializing purchasing cubes

Former Member
0 Kudos

When initializing my purchasing cubes and filling the setup tables ...

How much quiet time do I really need on the R/3 side? Is it just the amount of time it takes for the setup talbes to be populated or should I include the time it takes to actually load the data into BW?

Also, is there a way to reload just a few documents even though this is a delta load?

Thanks!

Alina

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alina,

about your first question, it depends from the delta method you have for your flow !

Look here to have more info:

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/01/19/logistic-cockpit-delta-mechanism--episode-three-the-new-update-methods

Anyway, consider that you can always easily close your system only for the setup table job, then you can init with no data transfer (open the system) and, only when you want, load as full all the remaining data...

About reloading few documents despite of delta management take a look to OSS Note 739863 'Repairing data in BW': here you can find what you need to know!

Hope this helps!

Bye,

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Roberto!

We're doing a direct delta. Can you expand more on ...

"Anyway, consider that you can always easily close your system only for the setup table job, then you can init with no data transfer (open the system) and, only when you want, load as full all the remaining data..."

I need to choose the way that minimizes r/3 quiet time to reload the data due to a change in the extract routine. Your suggestion above means that i'll still have to close the system while the setup tables are being filled, correct? (in our case ~8-10 hrs).

Thanks!

alina

Former Member
0 Kudos

also ... what exactly needs to be closed in r/3? is it just purchasing functions? In our case, we're also bringing in FI invoices. In this case, I'm thinking we also need to shut down FI postings. Can other modules be open such as PS, CO, etc?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you can read from my weblog, with your delta method it's enough to ends the setup job and simply push the button in the infopackage, but only if you flag early delta initialization in the infopackage...then you can open the system without waiting the end of the job...

Just a last thing, I strongly suggest to you to close the entire system durnig the setup filling job and not to try to close only partially (to avoid any risk to lose some records)...

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks a bunch Roberto! i'll be reading your weblog in depth in the next few days .

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi roberto --

one last question because i'm not too familiar with Early Delta Initialization. i'm planning on taking the following steps to reinit my ods/cube.

1) close r/3 while the setup tables are populated up through the zero init with early delta

2) after the zero init with early delta is done, i can open the system again since everything else will be logged in the delta queue

3) perform subsequent delta load to load all the data.

is this accurate?

thanks!

alina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alina,

if you use the early delta initialization option, you can execute an init WITH data transfer and open the system during the upload (hoping that nothing will be wrong!).

Otherwise you can do as you write, but you don't need to flag the early delta option !

In you third point, remember that you have to do a FULL to upload all data and then normal deltas...

Hope now is clearer...

Bye,

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks roberto --

if the system is open while i do the full load, and documents are created, those documents will go into the delta queue. But will they also be picked up by the full load and then be brought in again a 2nd time after i do the subsequent delta? or are the documents in the full load exclusive to the documents in the delta queue?

thanks so much!

alina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alina,

during the full, datasource takes data only from setup table (filled only during your setup job)...so, don't worry: init allows to collect every additional subsequent info in the delta queue while data for your full remain the same with no duplication risk...

Hope it helps!

Bye,

Roberto

...and don't forget that some point is always welcome !

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey roberto -- you're awesome. i'll def assign more points.

i tried to do the zero init followed by the full but i had a problem because my target is an ods. when i try to activate the data in the ods, it complains that the full and zero init selection criteria overlap and won't allow me to activate the full load. is there a way to overcome this? i don't see a way to load both the zero init and full with exclusive selection criteria. i also thought about deleting the the zero init request but wouldn't that render the delta queue useless?

how about doing the zero init, full, delta, then delete the zero init, activate the data, then do another zero init? does this work?

thanks!

alina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alina,

you have to flag your full request as repair full request in your infopackage !

Bye,

Roberto

Answers (0)