Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick questions about namespace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am a SAP newbie.

I know that one should always copy or delta-link content provided by SAP into one's own namespace if one wants to edit SAP content.

1) If FolderA is in a particular namespace, do objects (workset, pages, iView, folders) in FolderA automatically inherit the same namespace? For example, if FolderA is in SAP protected namespace, does that mean that I should not edit the content within FolderA as they are also in SAP namespace as well?

2) An object is in a particular namespace. If I copy or delta-link it to some place else, does the copied/delta-linked object inherit the same namespace as the object? If so, it would mean that I would have to change the namespace prefix of this delta-linked/copied object if the original object is in SAP namespace?

3) A workset and all of its pages/iViews all have namespacePrefixA. If I copy the workset elsewhere and change its namespace prefix, does the pages and iViews that were copied along with it inherit the change as well? Or do I have to change the namespace of each page/iView individually?

For example, if I copy a workset in SAP namespace (its pages/iViews are also in SAP namespace) and then change the copied workset to my namespace. If the pages/iViews do not inherit this change, does that mean I have to copy all of the pages/iView contained in this workset and change all their namespaces manually?

Thanks,

points with be generously awarded

Charles

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Charles

1) If FolderA is in a particular namespace, do objects (workset, pages, iView, folders) in FolderA automatically inherit the same namespace? For example, if FolderA is in SAP protected namespace, does that mean that I should not edit the content within FolderA as they are also in SAP namespace as well?

<b>Answer:</b> The namespaces of individual objects are assigned seperately for each of them. So a folder being in a namespace doesnot mean the child objects would also be in the same namespace. Though logically one should create them having the same namespace. But its not automatic. Anyway - best practice would be not modifying anything supplied by SAP or coming with a SAP namespace. Always make a copy and then edit.

2) An object is in a particular namespace. If I copy or delta-link it to some place else, does the copied/delta-linked object inherit the same namespace as the object? If so, it would mean that I would have to change the namespace prefix of this delta-linked/copied object if the original object is in SAP namespace?

<b>Answer:</b> The copied object will have the same namespace as the source object. And yes - if you have copied it from SAP namespcaed object - you better change the namespace and id.

3) A workset and all of its pages/iViews all have namespacePrefixA. If I copy the workset elsewhere and change its namespace prefix, does the pages and iViews that were copied along with it inherit the change as well? Or do I have to change the namespace of each page/iView individually?

<b>Answer:</b> The change of namespace in the workset will not affect its referenced objects. You need to change their namespaces seperately.

Have some simple tests of these scenarios in your sandbox portal - all the points will be clear to you. Best way to learn is by making your hands dirty

Regards,

Shubhadip

- reward points if helpful -

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your reply..

3) so that means that if I want to edit a workset in SAP namespace. I will have copy the pages/iView I want to edit, change their namespace, and then recopy/re-delta link them back to the workset? It is quite a tedious task!

4) A couple of final questions: if I copy/delta-link a workset. What exactly are the content of this copied workset. Are they new copies/delta links of the source pages/iViews? Or are they the copies/delta links of the copies/delta links of the source pages/iViews?

5) When I open an object, how can I tell whether it is a copy of another object (can I actually trace that?) or that it is a delta-link?

6) This is a separate question, but see if you can help me anyway: I want to edit a workset or a page in a workset, but the edit mode is not highlighted. Anyway to turn it on?

Thanks

Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

3) so that means that if I want to edit a workset in SAP namespace. I will have copy the pages/iView I want to edit, change their namespace, and then recopy/re-delta link them back to the workset? It is quite a tedious task!

<b>Answer:</b> It wont be that much. You copy the work set and the child objects from SAP folder to your own folder structure. Just change the namespace - the connection /reference between the workset and the child objects would be kept intact by portal. You dont have to reconnect them one by one. Portal has this intelligence to update the references if you rename or renamespace something.

4) A couple of final questions: if I copy/delta-link a workset. What exactly are the content of this copied workset. Are they new copies/delta links of the source pages/iViews? Or are they the copies/delta links of the copies/delta links of the source pages/iViews?

<b>Answer:</b> I am assuming you will copy the objects (not delta link it to SAP object - thats always risky). They will be exact copies of the source objects - only the object id would be different - for example if you copy a object with id myworkset - the new object will be coming with id myworkset_0. Rest all would be exact.

5) When I open an object, how can I tell whether it is a copy of another object (can I actually trace that?) or that it is a delta-link?

<b>Answer:</b> - I think there is a tool for tracing a delta link associated with each object. Normally inside a workset you should only have delta links of objects.

6) This is a separate question, but see if you can help me anyway: I want to edit a workset or a page in a workset, but the edit mode is not highlighted. Anyway to turn it on?

<b>Answer:</b> Best optiuon would be to trace back the original object and edit that - not the referenced object inside the workset. In most cases the object referenced inside a workset would be delta linked to some iVIew. If you change them directly under the workset - the changed property gets affected only on the workset not on the actual object. Anyway - the Edit Button should be disabled when your object is already in editable stage. So you should be anyway able to modify it. If you get a message as Object is locked - then you need to go to System Admin -> Monitoring -> Portal to unlock all the locked objects.

Regards,

Shubhadip

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks,

I am much clearer about this now

Answers (0)