cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding local J2EE WAS in JDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sirs,

We are considering implementing JDI in our system landscape. In the JDI papers you are advised that every developer has access to his/hers WAS on a local PC for testing purpose.

There are however a few downsides with this; you can download the slim edition (Developer Workspace) with a 90 day trail period, and then you have to start paying a license. How big is this license? (guess I'm told to contact my local SAP office, but it will be interesting to know a rough estimate. Are we talking 100$, 500$, 1000$, ...)

In addition running a WAS on the developer PC, requires a lot from the developers computer.

How does people overcome the challenges of running a local WAS? Can an alternative to a local WAS, be to install a “separate” WAS, which acts as a local WAS for the developers?

The way I see it there is a need for a place where developers can test more freely than in DEV, and this way reduce the number of activities on the CMS.

Best regards,

Jørgen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ask your accountmanager for the licensing fees that are in effect for your company.

You can indeed use a central local WebAS for the developers. This requires good communication within your development team though: Only one person can debug at a time!

An idea might be to set up a WebAS inside a VMWare instance. This has the advantage that you need only one licensekey...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

thank you for your input. I will think about the VMWare solution, only downside is that you need the VMWare license and that VMWare needs quite a lot of resources as well.

MarkusKlein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

i am using a VMWare instance on my notebook for the local WAS (Its a virtual Windows XP with a WAS Java installed). I installed it on a 2nd Harddisk, so its completely seperated from my other data. Its just, its so slow. I have a Thinkpad with 1.7Ghz and 1.5GB of RAM.

What system are you guys running your local WAS Server on?

regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

An additional input on the central server for development , I think if you add more server process , then you get more ports to debug on thereby isolating a debug sessions between developers.

No of simultaneous debug session = No of server process?

Just a theorectical guess..

On the confuguration side , I use a 1.6 Ghz Pentium M processor , with 2 GB RAM and its okay to develop Portal components and not so heavyweight webdynpro comps. But putting mods on to some of the ESS comps really slows it down.

The new Intel Core Duo processors with 3-4 GB RAM I heard is like lightning fast ...!!!

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz with 2 GB RAM.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

if local WAS is used for testing by developer. How is the local testing performed if one are creating application which are working against e.g BABIs from the backend.

Would the testing on the local WAS be quite amputated in such a setting ? As the local WAS probably will not have connection to the backend system.

Best regards,

Jørgen

MarkusKlein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

in such a scenario you of course still need access to a Backend System, which means you need access to your LAN. Either local or over a VPN Connection.

regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

But would not this require you to register the Local WAS in the SLD and set up the JCo connections to the backend. Or am I totaly wrong?

The way I see it, if each developer has to do a lot of configuration to make the testing work, I think it will cause some problems.

Best regards,

Jørgen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let the Local WebAS run it's own SLD. Developers can do whatever they want and will not mess up the central production SLD.

All they need is an export of the Technical System data of the system they want to connect to from the production SLD. They can import this into their local SLD and then define the local JCo connections.

MarkusKlein
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you are right. You need to configure your local WAS properly. Which means JCOs etc. But actually this should be the job of the administrator, which should give you as developer a proper configured system in order to do your job. At least he should do

regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus and Pascal,

I think I will mark this thread as solved. Because I feel the sum of all the postings in this thread has given me many of the answers I wanted.

However, if anyone has more to add on this issue, please do.

Best regards,

Jørgen

Jordan_Stanchev
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think that you can benefit from the following documentation reference

"http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/62/1f5a42672ee054e10000000a155106/frameset.htm".

There you will find some steps on setting the development environment and how to start development with the NWDI on a developer workplace.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards, Jordan