Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about IO assignment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What exactly is IO assignment for?

Lets say if I am doing time conversion deriving 0FISCYEAR from 0FISCPER. Then in this case target field is 0FISCYEAR & source field is 0FISCPER. So now for IO assignment for 0FISCPER which field will come and why?

Thanks,

sam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think u have the concept clear about the source and target fields to be assigned .. if so what IO assignment are u referring to?

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok let me put it this way, when do we use IO assignment and why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If u r refering to IO assignment in context of transformations, then it refers to mapping the source field to target field. it can be direct assignment, routine, time char conversion, masterdata attribute etc.

If i got the question wrong, please let me know in which context u r refering

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes i am referring it in context to transformation but i still didnt get. when do we use it and why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

InfoObject Assignment for Source Field

Use

An InfoObject has to be assigned to a source field if:

Master data is to be read

Currencies or units are to be read

Time conversion is required

Former Member
0 Kudos

this is what the help says, does this mean whenever you do time conversion or read master then the same source field shld go here. can you plz explain this with a case..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyway, assuming you are mapping FISCPER(source field not <b>0</b>FISCPER) to 0FISCYEAR. The system wouldnt be able to infer FISCPER as it is a source field, so for the system to understand what this source field really corresponds to in BI, you need to specify 0FISCPER as the target field so that the system does the time conversion from fiscper to fiscyear. (its a pain to specify the IO assignment everytime you want the time conversion, So i use infosource to achieve the same)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can give you a case for reading master data, and why IO assignment is necessary there.

In my scenario I have an transaction BC data source, 0CO_OM_WBS_6, with the field POSID (which stands for WBS Element). In addition, I need an attribute from the WBS Element.

In the 'reading master data' transformation I assign POSID to 0WBS_ELEMT in the IO Assignment. This will let the BW Engine know that it is the 0WBS_ELEMT I'm retrieving data from. The target field will be the attribute I'm retrieving from the 0WBS_ELEMT. The BW Engine would not know that POSID represents 0WBS_ELEMT unless I set it in the IO Assignment.

Hope this example helped to make it a bit clearer.

Best regards,

Torbjorn

Answers (0)