cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process chain problem: Step completion not occuring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings!

My problem involves a datastore activation step in a process chain. The step will start and the datastore is activated successfully - all lights are green in the process monitor. However, that step in the process chain remains yellow. It's as though the notification is not 'getting back' to the chain that the step was completed successfully.

I've searched through various logs (SLG1), looked at the batch jobs in SM37, etc, and I've found no sign of any failed processes. Is there anywhere else I can look?

I'm on SAP EHP 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0. Oracle DB, release 11.2.0.2.0. 

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just found this:

Within table RSPCPROCESSLOG, the record for each step has Actual State = J - Framework Error Upon Completion. 

Having done some web-digging, I have not found a solution or even an explanation for this error. Anyone know what or how this is caused?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher

Did you check this note:

Note 1631909 - Chain does not become green or stops at IP for synchron. run?

Regards,

Eldo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That looks to be our problem. However, the note fix is attached to a enchancement pack and we're not able to load that now given we're working on upgrading from 7.0 to 7.3.

I found that when this happens, the ACTUAL_STATE entry on RSPCPROCESSLOG will be 'J' while the STATE entry will be 'G' when the step did truly complete without error. We're looking into coding a program to scan for these and auto-fix where needed.

Thank you for all of your responses!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris, What is the auto-fix you are implementing to correct these, could you let us know,,Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're in the concept phase now but my thoughts are:

Create a program and schedule it to run every 15 minutes. That program would: read table RSPCPROCESSLOG (probably by batch date) and locate entries where ACTUAL_STATE = "J" and STATE = "G". Then utilize program RSPC_PROCESS_FINISH to set that process step to green, thus allowing the process chain to continue.

But, there are a lot of scenarios to test out before implementation. My first worry is: are there any ways a step can actually fail, and still result in 'J' and 'G' entries. If yes, then we wouldn't want the program to set the step to green.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris, I was interested how you are changing ACTUAL_STATE thru your program to G. but, thats not the case i guess.In the table, if STATE = G then your process will already be in green.

former_member183290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I have a similar unresolved issue and I have mentioned all the details below.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3428395

We are also looking for apt note to implement and yet to raise an OSS note.

Request you to post the resolution if you get.

Thanks a lot and sorry for bothering on this.

Regards,

Vikranth

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

The process chain is out of sync.

I removed the process chain from schedule and scheduled it again. 

The process chain ran successfully.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

if you believe the step is successful then use rspc_process_finish function to change the status in the process chain, so that the chain proceeds further.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's what I've been doing to move the chain along. This problem has occurred six times to date: four times this week and twice last.

Thank you for your input!

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

The event between the two steps might have been corrupted. Try to activate the chain again and trigger.

Also check if the same chain has started again when DSO activation is in progress.

Regards

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

you may have "locking issues" on the DSO... and somehow it's not reported immediately

(you can check for locks in transaction SM12)

this might happen when during the activation another process is "reading" the DSO (in another transformation for example)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestion. We were not able to find any locks in the DSO nor on SM12.

This same problem has occured on another process chain with a subchain step. The subchain completed successfully, and has the status "successfully completed" on the chain tab on the step itself, but remained yellow and didn't move on.

Does anyone know of a way to monitor long running process chain steps? I believe this can be done using BWCCMS but we're not currently utilizing this feature.

Thank you for your input!

Former Member
0 Kudos

ST22 - short dumps

SM21 - system log

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked both and nothing was found.

Does documentation exist that shows the inner-workings of process chain and their process types? Perhaps something that shows how those notifications are sent back and forth? I've not been able to find any.

Thank you.