cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Word/Excel Documents

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

we´re using EP6 NW04_09 (KM NW04 SPS09 Patch3).

We created a filesystem repository to have access to word and excel files. If we open the files inside the portal we don´t get the "real" word or excel-application. We only get the files in a IE-Browser view with less functions.

Is it possible that the application starts if we click on a wordfile in our repository? We definately need the Word-/Excelfunctions to work with the files.

Thanks a lot,

Susanne

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Susanne,

you mean you get a work/excel/... application that runs inside your browser window (and is thus missing some toolbars or menu entries)?

If you like to edit documents, instead of simply clicking on them, chose "edit locally" from the context menu. This will cause the "normal" application to be launched.

Regards,

Dominik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dominik,

"you mean you get a work/excel/... application that runs inside your browser window (and is thus missing some toolbars or menu entries)?"

- yes this is the problem.

Ok - let me try to explain. We have lot of Microsoft templates in our company. We would like to integrate this templates via repository - this works fine. What the users should do is - the should click inside the portal on a document - Word/Excel should open this - the user fill out the files - save it in another folder or print it.

They are not allowed to change the template and they have no permission in our network path to do this. That´s why we can´t use the checkout/checkin procedure.

The only problem is that we´re missing the word/excel toolbars and some important features. So they can´t work within the browser window.

Thanks,

Susanne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dominik,

we probably got a solution.

See MS Note Article ID : 162059

Thank you anyway

Former Member
0 Kudos

Susanne,

I have been attempting to connect to an area on our network that has our shared files and templates. I have the windows repository set up correctly, admins can see it but users can not. I have the user roles with full access to the iview and system. But, when it comes to authentication it stops dead, no access. The files do not reside on the portal, they are on another file server. The users have rights to the shared location.

I am stumped.

Could you give me some insight on how you have this repository set up? Both portal and file servers are running Windows 2003.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David,

we´re running Windows 2000 so I don´t know if there is something different.

1. We created a system landscape

2. Created a network path at the system configuration in the portal. You have to fill out an user for this path. This user need to have full access to your windows filesystem.

3. We created a filesystem repository incl. the system landscape and the W2kSecurityManager. Our users have to personalize the system landscape with their username + password. Then they have access like they would be in the Windows Explorer.

Hope I could help you a little bit,

Susanne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply!

I have done this. The only way I can get anything to work is to make a different repository for each share and use ACLSecurityManager. I have not found a way to make this work to have the users ADS restrictions work on the portal. If I use what I am doing now, I will have to make a file repository for each share we have in the company, that would be a nightmare.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had the same problem that we only could use the ACL-Security Manager. We had a very good consultant at our company from SAP - he solved this problem.

Did you personalize your System Landscape? You probably have your system in the dropdown-field (usermapping). Try domain\user and the windows password. This is how it works at our portal - and we have ADS restrictions.

We also create a separate file respository for each share we need in the portal. So this might be ok.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I have done that. Right after I make the system, I give it an alias, and have the test users put in domain\user and password. I have to be missing something for this not to work correctly.

That part of the project is going to be on hold until I rebuild the production portal. Dev has been upgraded to the current sps11 (12 comes out Friday, ha, ha) Dev will be production till I have our main box upgraded and running again. I'll let you know if I get it working or have another question.

Thanks again.