Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing from Different Paper Sources?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: cmainard

CA Forum: General

I have a report that is basically a series of "letters" to individuals. Currently, the report generates from the DB and I use the select expert to print each one by "family name" using the printers function of - print first page to: tray 1 and second and beyond pages to tray 2

for the purpose of using letterhead for page one, and regular stock for each subsequent page, which could be up to 4 more pages or so.

Any way to tell Crystal to do this? (Knowing when the new report starts based on the same logic that breaks the letters up?)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: IdoMillet

Yes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

IDO:

to clarify, would your software allow for this type of scenario:

~ burst out report per given group name, and send to saved file name AND to printer with the page one of group report printing out of drawer 1 of printer and subsequent pages from drawer 2?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I watched the video presentation and this does look like a possible solution, I've printed some material....

thanks for the lead.

CM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the same tool can automate the splitting (the standard name for this is "bursting") of the output.You simply combine the bursting process with a PDF_Print_Split or PDF_Print_Split_Tag command line argument (and a dynamic pdf file name).

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmmm... I don't think that would work in this scenario, unless the same tool was able to split the report output (currently one giant report output) which is broken up by name....

any other thoughts?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No way to do this within Crystal itself but consider a 3rd-party tool as a solution (for a list of such tools, see http://www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html).My Visual CUT software allows you do achieve this type of behavior by automating the exporting of the report to pdf and the printing of the pdf across multiple paper trays using page range logic in a command line (PDF_Print_Split command line argument) or using formula logic embedded in the Crystal report and acting as printer tray directive tags (PDF_Print_Split_Tag).hth,- Ido