Back when we first upgraded to EP6 SP2, I remember reading something about a portal broadcasting tool (name may not be exact). Essentially, what it allows you to do is message everyone currently logged onto a portal instance. It was not something we actively pursued at the time, but now such a feature has been asked for.
Does anyone know what the name of this tool is? I can't seem to find it anywhere via search.
If the tool doesn't do what I want, any suggestions as to a custom app? I was thinking of an iview that would subscribe to an EPCM event and would pop up when the event was raised. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a way for us to say, alert all the current users of a dev environment that it will be going down in 10 minutes.
I don't know anything about portal broadcast application. I tried Prakash code from his weblog and his application works but it has got 2 big problems. If user do not click in portal, the alert is not shown. And if message is valid for example for 3 minutes, every click to portal (during this 3 minutes) leads into new alert. So my opinion is that this solution is not real broadcasting.
I developed my own application (but take care, it's not so easy stuff :-). If you are interested I can give you some hints. But as I said this application could be 1 very big weblog...
With this application you can:
- display message immediately
- display message on every user login
- edit message text in XML forms builder
- selet time period in which is this message valid (from-to)
- display more messages in specified order
- select server node on which is message displayed (for example if you want restart only one server node)
- send message only to specified users (user/role/group)
Mabye you don't need all this funcionality. So try to ask specific question.