cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Reading Cube data

Former Member
0 Kudos

From a level I'm executing a <b>layout A</b> (with just a dynamic column) which shows plan data. (It takes 2 seconds to read from the plan cube)

From the same level I'm executing a <b>layout B</b> (with just a dynamic column) which displays actual data (It takes 2 seconds to read from the actual cube).

When I create a <b>layout C</b> that contains the two dynamic columns the system takes 80 seconds. (2 seconds to read the plan cube and 76 seconds to read the actual cube)

<b>How can this be possible if I'm working from the same level and i'm displaying the same actual data as in Layout B</b>?

Thanks. points awarded to useful answers.

Alberto

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The reason could be because the same layout is trying to acess both actual and plan cubes at the same time.Whereas in the previous layouts only one cube is read at a time.

I dont see a problem in the selections.Also this has happened to me with a layout reading both actual and plan data but we had cost element hierarchy in the lead column.What kind of characteristic are you having in the lead column for layout c?

Please update for further details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the lead column I've got just one characteristic (cost center).

When I run the statistics I see that there are 2 BW_DATA_READ recorded times.

reading the plan cube (which I have in the level) takes just 2 seconds.

Reading the actual cube (which is just a comparison) takes the remaining 78 seconds.

I just can't understand that reading 2 cubes at the same time takes 20 times longer than reading both of them separately..there is something really missing here.

Regards,

Alberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The time should ideally depend on the amount of data that is being read (save for any other external factors affecting, for eg., excel); and this will be dependent on the planning package selections. You should therefore check if the planning package selection under which you run the layout C, is leading to too much data being read or too many characteristic combinations being generated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info BUT..

My problem is just in pure BW_READ_TIME.

Layouts A,B and C are excuted from the same level and package.

Layout C displays the same records than in A + B taking 80 seconds to read all this data .

But individually it only takes 2 seconds to read layout A and B.

Layout A and B are accessing different planning areas.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

In this case, the design of the layout needs to be looked into, to identify the problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The design of the layout is super simple.

Layout C just contains the same that layout A + B.

It just has 2 columns. one from A and one from B.

Layout C does not contain any customizing not existing in layouts A or B.

Regards,

AS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would still say the reason to be because of reading two cubes at the same time.But you could also check another option.Create a test level and setup similar layout and see how it reacts now.I am sure its not gonna make any difference but sometime u never know.I would also check some more on the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, of course ..the reason is that we are reading two cubes at the same time..

but how can we justify that...

reading 10 records from cube A takes 2 seconds.

reading 10 records from cube B takes 2 seconds.

reading 20 records from cube A and B takes 20 times than 4 seconds.

My cubes are almost empty...I just don't know what the hell the system is doing for 80 seconds.

regards,

AS