cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Improvement in query building

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

While going through the forum, I saw certain posts which guided to improve the performance by customizing the Design Studio application like increasing the JAVA memory etc.

On Design Studio I observed that query building takes much more time especially in the Edit Initial View where a simple query with 3 - 4 fields takes ages to load. Wanted to know if this is something that usually happens or there is some sort of tuning required on the app on data connectivity side.

I saw the below link on Data Optimisation but asking the question as the project when executed through BI is pretty much faster and takes only a fraction of the time which is taken by the Edit Initial View option. Also the same query in Webi or SQL takes hardly a second or two to load which is pretty smooth.

Performance Tuning and Job Optimization at Business Objects Data Services - Business Intelligence (B...

We are using DS 1.6 SP1 and Webi 4.1 SP5 Patch 1

Thanks,

Ragesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please review this SAP Note  Performance hints for Design Studio applications https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1931691/E

I also recommend looking at the statistics mentioned here by Martin Kolb:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the revert, these documents are for optimisation of the application being created using DS which works fine for me. My issue is when we need to add / modify a new query it takes good amount of time to display the data in Edit Initial View or the query edit dialogue incase. The same query in Webi runs pretty much normal. I might be confused, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

RK

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In Web Intelligence, are you adding/removing characteristics like you are in the Edit Initial View?

It would be interesting to see if you can do a trace in BW (ST05?  SE30) while you do the Edit Initial View

Another thought is to add the navigation panel component to Design Studio and repeat the same or similar steps in your application like edit initial view to see if the performance is the same.

Lastly there was a patch released for SP1 last week - have you installed that?

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ragesh,

I assume you are referring to the "Edit Query" option in case you are using a Universe in Design Studio as data source and open the initial view part ?

If so - yes - that takes a little while to come up in Design Studio designer.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Yes, I am talking about that. I thought it was weird thing happening to me as the data being retrieved was very very limited in certain cases but yet taking a couple of minutes which increases with the amount of data being pulled. I wonder what's it actually processing for such long.

Thanks,

RK

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have seen similar behavior and the only way to "speed it up" was to increase the allocated memory for the Design Studio designer.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

former_member184088
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo,

Thanks for your comment

We have made some changes in SapDesignStudio.ini file which is present under C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Design Studio directory to improve performance.

-startup

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar

--launcher.library

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.300.v20150602-1417

-name

SAP

BusinessObjects

Design

Studio

-vm

-server

jre/bin/SapDesignStudioVM.exe

-vmargs

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6

-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

-Djdk.xml.entityExpansionLimit=0

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreProvider=SunMSCAPI

-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=Windows-ROOT

-Dorg.osgi.framework.os.name=win32

-Djava.library.path=

-Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=60000

-Dsun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout=60000

-Xmx4g

-Xms1g

-XX:PermSize=512m

-XX:MaxPermSize=1g

–XX:+UseParallelGC

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

-XX:+HeapDumpPath=C:\Temp\DesignStudio_Dumps\

Is there anything else we need to modify ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Would making only the changes that Atul has mentioned increase the allocated memory or is there something else that we need to change.

Thanks,

RK