cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance impact through navigational attributs?

marco_simon2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

(this question referes to BEx Analyzer and BEx Web-Analyzer frontends).

I'd like to get some feedback if there's any performance-impact to expect if one provides many navigational attributes in a query - or an InfoProvider.

Let's say we've got a Cube with 5 activated nav-attributes

and a twin-cube with 50 activated nav-attributes

We define the same report on both cubes. The report has none of the nav-attributes in the initial drill-donw, but all of them in the free-characteristics.

Does this it make any difference concerning the performance?

The only downside I'd expect is the fact taht the free-characteristics become quite un-overviewable.

Which brings me to a connected question: Is there any way to define "groups of characteristics"?

E.g. I'd like to provice 30 navigational-attributes for material-attributes (color, type, shape, etc..., etc...).

I wanna have this nav-attributes available in the report - but I do not want to have extremly long lists of attributes (for example in the context-menu "Add to drilldown"). I could imagine the option of having a node "material-attributes" in the list, which can be expanded to find the nav-attributes.

Did you ever face similar problems?

How did you handle them?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

Generally, keeping many Nav Attrs in an Infocube or in BEx Query will definitely degrade the Query performance. But if your User requirement is that, you have no choice to rationalize them.

Nav Attrs are accessed during run time of your Query, when you click on Add Drilldowns.

I am also wondering whether we can group Nav. attrs...?

http://search.sap.com/ui/scn#query=Grouping+Navigational+Attributes&startindex=1&filter=scm_a_site(s...

Regards,

Suman

marco_simon2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Suam,

and first of all thanks for your reply.

Generally, keeping many Nav Attrs in an Infocube or in BEx Query will definitely degrade the Query performance.

Could you maybe expain that a little bit more in detail?

What is technical reason that makes queries with many nav-attr. slowlier?

As you mentioned i'd expect a poorer performance as soon as I use an attribe in the drill-down (or for filterning) - but I would not expect a general performance-drawback refering to the number of used nav-attr.

Which scaling would you guess refering to the performance? Is a query with doulbe number of attributes half as fast as its "lightwight"-sibling? Or would you expect that there is a degrade - but not one which is really noticeable?

Thanks for the link, but I fear that kind of "grouping" there is not the one I described.

I'm looking for some kind subnodes in the list of free-characteristics.

For example:

CompCode

SalesOrg

Material

- MatGroup(MD)

- Prodhier(MD)

- Color(MD)

Customer

- Group(MD)

- Salesoffice(MD)

Plant

Year

(The elements of Material and Customer in this case should be inflat/expandable to show the assigned nav-attributes)

That would allow to order the mass of free-chars - especially in the context-menus this will give you a much better overview over your chars/nav-attr.

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

You can group your chars in a different way. This will be handled while creating Dimensions in a Cube.

You have to assign separate "Navigational Blocks" to each Dimensions in WAD. So , a User can select the required Entity and click on Drill down Chars in the report. But still when you right click on the report, you will see all the big list of free chars. You need to educate your Users to select the drill downs from the navigational blocks but not from the Right Click option.

Nav. Attrs are not stored in the Cube. These have to be explicitly ticked.

Regards,

Suman

marco_simon2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

where's the conclusion between the defintion of the cubes dimensions (if we are talking about Cubes at all) and the grouping of free characteristics in the report? I think this is independent from each other.

And you're right - several Nav-Groups might be an option (if combined with collapsable/hideable sections). But this only an approach that makes sense for single, intensive designed reports. We've got aprox. 200 living reports in our envirionment - and defining (and maintaining) the mentioned idea seems to me to be not realizeable.

Anyway - thanks for your hints.

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

I think you r getting confused with the idea what I gave you yesterday. Infocube Dimensions contains only Characteristics and its navigational attributes(If Ticked) will be under Nav attr's section. So when you use these dimensions in the Navigational Blocks in WAD, these Blocks can show both Chars and its associated  Nav Attrs also under one block.

That's what I have shown you in the screen shot. We are maintaining for about 65 Reports in our organization. Creation of Web templates doesn't consume much time. This idea is quite practical.

I think you should give a try for couple of reports and then get the user feedback on  that.

Regards,

Suman

marco_simon2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

I still cannot see the conclusion between a cubes dimensions and the grouping of chars/nav-attr. in a nav-section. Or is there a tick "show chars and their nav-attrs. of dimension X in this nav-section"??

I would expect that the cubes dimensioning (=data-scheme on database) is completely independant from the frontend-display of characteristics.

One question from the practical side: If you modify a cube by adding another characteristic - or by enableing another navigational attribute, do you really jump through all associated web-templates in order to adjust the nav-sections in there? What is about BEx-(Excel)-Reports?

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Marco,

If you observe my screen shot,I have clearly highlighted the tick marks you are suppose to check to display all your Free chars of your Query. Which means your free chars contains Chars as well as Nav Attrs also.

Regards,

Suman

marco_simon2
Participant
0 Kudos

Good morning Suman,

Suman Chakravarthy K wrote:

Which means your free chars contains Chars as well as Nav Attrs also.

There was never doubt about that.

I checked the ticks - but more with the intention to understand the conclusion between the nav-boxes and the cubes dimension-design. But there not to be one.

Kind regards,

Marco

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

I completely agree with you Marco. See, we can group all our free chars in WAD in the way I told.

I am not talking anything out of Extended Star Schema model. The mechanism What I am talking about is grouping..That's it.

But you don't appreciate the replies at all.

Regards,

Suman

marco_simon2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

ok, then things become clearer now.

Did you notice my question about the workload-aspect?:

Marco wrote:

One question from the practical side: If you modify a cube by adding another characteristic - or by enableing another navigational attribute, do you really jump through all associated web-templates in order to adjust the nav-sections in there? What is about BEx-(Excel)-Reports?