cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partitions on ODS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everbody,

I Hope and pray everyone is good and doing well. Could anyone tell me is it possible to Make partitions on ODS like cubes. Be frankly speaking, i don't have much knoweldge on Partitions, please let me know the main purposes and usage and handling of those. I am very thankful and appreciate to who will give peachy replies. Have a nice day

Thanks

satya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ashwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

The purpose is simple it is easier and faster to search in partitions. I thik Roberto has already given the way to partion ODS.

with regards

ashwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone help me in creating ODS active record table partitions. (BW 3.5)

Is there any aplication interface from where we can do it or it has to be done from backend.

My requirement is to create dynamic partitions based on 0CALMONTH field. The value will look like 200401 for Jan

Best Regards,

Ananth

ananthshenoy@hotmail.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Take a look at these two Notes -

742243 General table partitioning as of SAP_BASIS 46C

722188 FAQ: Oracle partitioning

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Partitioning an ODS is done for two reasons -

1) to improve query performance by allowing the DB to ignore portions of the table that are not relevant, e.g. you partition an ODS on 0FISCYEAR because almost all queries only ever look at one year.

2) to ease data administration burdens when dealing with large tables, e.g. you want to archive off data that is more than 4 years old. The archive process can simply drop partitions rather than having to run delete query.

ODS design does not use partitions to improve loading as the cubes do. Instead it has a separate table that new data is loaded to, and which is then subsequently inserted/updated to the Activated table during the Activation process.

InfoCubes - the F fact table is partitioned to faciliates the loading of data. The E fact table could be partitioned on 0CALMONTH or 0FISCPER (these are currently the only options for cubes), and would be partitioned for the same reasons mentioned above.

Cubes can be partitioned from within the BW Admin Workbench (cube MUST be empty). A DBA must perform partitioning of an ODS.

Before considering partitioing an ODS, yo uwould want to now about the ODS size, what queries exist, how they are restricted/filtered, etc. Typically, an ODS is partitioned on a time characteristic, e.g 0FISCYEAR, or 0FISCPER, but could also be partitioned on something like Business Area, or could even be partitioned on 0FISCYEAR then Business Area. The queries really drive that decision. Not going to try to explain all the options, that's really something to review with your DBA.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pizzaman,

It's very clear and good reply from you.

Thanks a lot for your reponse.

Thanks

satya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dear!

sure,you can partition Active Data table...

look here for more details...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e6/bb01580c9411d5b2df0050da4c74dc/content.htm

Hope it helps!

Bye,

Roberto

(please, then reward the answer...it's THE way to say thanks here!)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

It's gr8 and nice to see a reply from you. I got it. And still i have few doubts on the partitions. Is it the same for Infocubes also. I mean to ensure a good INFOCUBE loading performance what we taken into account using partitions. If is there any document or useful information then let me know. I will give the full reward(whole points) to you

Ashwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

here is a link to SDN performance tuning center you can find looot of material regarding performance tuning

https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/developerareas/bi.sdn?page=bi_performance.htm

with regards

ashwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

I think that here you can find a good example:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/33/dc2038aa3bcd23e10000009b38f8cf/content.htm

Hope it helps!

Bye,

Roberto

Ashwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

check this document on performance tuning.

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001890502003

check section DB specfic for partitioning related information.

with regards

ashwin